For this church:
West Bingham Deanery
This stone medieval church has a chancel, nave, south porch, south aisle, south-east mortuary chapel, and an embattled Perpendicular west tower (with spire) containing five bells.
The great feature is the south aisle with classical porch, both dating to c.1666, and three-light windows with ‘posthumous Gothic tracery’. The rest of the church is 13th century apart from the chancel, restored in 1878 by T C Hine in an elaborate Decorated style.
There is a complete Early English arcade with quatrefoil piers, double-chamfered arches and corbel heads.
The font is octagonal with shields but no quatrefoils and dates from the 15th century. A stained glass east window is by Powell & Sons, 1913.
The great attraction of the church is the array of monuments, mainly to the Pierreponts. These include: Sir Henry Pierrepont (d1499), in full armour, a good alabaster, ’probably the best of its kind in the country’; Sir Henry Pierrepont (d1615) husband of Frances Cavendish, Bess of Hardwick’s daughter - A splendid tomb by John Smythson, son of the architect Robert Smythson; a large wall monument, with skull and crossbones for Princess Gertrude of Kingston (d1649); John Oldham, poet (d1683) - a tablet surrounded by swags, etc, as good as work by Grinling Gibbons; the Duke of Kingston (c1806) by Michael Taylor of York; Hon Evelyn Pierpont (d1802) by Flaxman; William Saltrend (d1811) profile of a woman reading, also by Flaxman; and Lady Sophia Pierrepont (d1823) by Pierre Bazzanti of Florence.
Particular thanks to Ray State, Dr Chris Brooke and Andy Nicholson for research on this entry and to