For this church:
Kirklington St Swithin
Features and Fittings
Oak choir stalls installed in 1874.
Late Norman font with blank intersecting arches. Intertwined arcading supported by pilasters, but the carving on the capitals of these is incomplete. A detailed description of the font is available on the The Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain & Ireland website.
The ashlar pulpit dates from the 1874 restoration. Cox (1912) quotes a wonderful story about an earlier pulpit:
'In the pulpit sides are some holes filled up with more recent wood. The explanation is that a sporting rector, of beginning of 19th century, used to have this pulpit, which was loose from its base, carried down on weekdays to a swamp in the parish frequented by wild duck, when it served as a screen for the parson when firing at the birds through the holes made for that purpose.'
Reading desk – no longer in use.
Oak pews installed in 1874.