For this church:
Features and Fittings
The cross on the altar was given in memory of one of Laxton’s fallen in World War I:
In the chancel is the diminutive fourteenth century Easter Sepulchre, an upright niche with flowing tracery. It now has doors and serves as an aumbry.
In the chancel is a rare survival of evidence for a Lentern veil, used to screen the sanctuary during the period of Lent. It comprises a pulley, attached to the uppermost part of the sedilia, and a corresponding hook on the opposite wall.
There is a hagioscope, which gave the priest at the south aisle chantry altar a view of the main altar. It is not datable exactly but may be of the 14th century.
The 14th century double piscina has a central shaft, ogee-headed openings with Decorated tracery, hood mould, and mask stops.
South of the altar is what appears to be an image bracket taking the form of an angel with a blank shield (perhaps once painted); there is also a plain bracket to the north of the altar which served the same function. Both appear 15th century.
There is a narrow doorway linking the chancel with the north chapel. It is 14th century, ogee-headed.
The two rows of choir stalls are on either side of the Chancel. They are backed by carved wooden screens and dedicated to Rev Henry Martin with the inscription:
There is a single wooden Priest stall on either side of the Chancel. Both display the dedication:
There is also a Prayer desk that is situated in the Chancel and has the dedication:
A second oak Prayer desk in the Chancel has the dedication:
The chancel screen is of oak, 7 bays, dating from the 15th century, with ogee heads and Perpendicular traceried panels. It is heavily restored, probably in 1860.
The Rev Richard Camenisch, Vicar of Laxton 1959-68, had this statue made by Stanislas Reychan. He had originally intended it to be larger, and to occupy the stone bracket on the north side of the altar. However it turned out to be too small for that location and so was placed on a wooden bracket in the south chancel aisle. It depicts the medieval story of the freeing of souls in hell by Christ immediately after his crucifixion.
The pulpit, in oak, was given in memory of Rev Christopher Collinson:
The oak lectern was given in memory of Rev H A Martin:
The church pews are nineteenth century oak, and probably date from the restoration in 1859-60.
The font appears to be mainly 13th century in date, octagonal, with chamfered roll moulding. There appears to be some restoration, probably dating from the 19th century. However, the base clearly does not belong to the body of the font and appears to be part of a reduced and reused 13th century clustered column.
The wooden top commemorates the coronation of King George VI in 1937.
The oak screen separating the body of the church from the base of the tower is inscribed:
North Aisle Screen
The North Aisle Screen is inscribed:
and also carries the words of the angel to Mary:
Amidst the wording is a representation of the five wounds of Christ, a late medieval devotional symbol used particularly in the Pilgrimage of Grace, an uprising in 1536 against the reforms of Henry VIII.
Three plaques on the south wall of the bell tower details benefactions given for the poor of the parish. They read:
Field Plan and Terrier
On the south wall of the church is a large plan of the traditional field system (for which Laxton is best known). On the west wall is a terrier giving details of the acreage of all of the allocations.
The nave roof has a mainly 15th century superstructure with elements of 1860 restoration including new boarding.
The carved stones on the floor around the altar are probably medieval. The rest of the floor is red and blue Victorian tiles.
Other Items in the Church