Lowdham St Mary

Features and Fittings


In the chancel are:

The principal altar with a cross of oak

Two oak chairs with kneelers

A small table

The altar rail

Mary and Child

Metal effigy bearing the inscription:

In memory of Maud & Hannah Heggs


On the wall of the south aisle. The plaque above the aumbry reads:

11 JANUARY 1904         
         26 MARCH 1979




Oak lectern with inscription at the base:

To the glory of God. In loving memory of the Rev J H Browne B A
A tribute of affection from his sorrowing colleague E B Michaelson 11 October 1891
The font Detail of the carving on the font


The Font is thought to be by masons who were working on the Chapter House of Southwell Minster; therefore dates to c 1290. According to Bond, it was by the time of carving one of few to retain shafts at the base - that had been the vogue of the thirteenth century. Instead of arcading the octagonal font, the carvers produced a niche which had a richly decorated pediment with foliage arising from heads at each corner of the base.

Paschal Candle stand

A contemporary black metal candle holder with inscription:

Given in thanksgiving for the baptism of Jennifer Simon Sarah Tom Harry Jake and Ella

Jacobean Altar Table

This was given to the church by the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Ton Lane when it closed.

Royal Arms

High on the east wall of the tower is the Royal Coat of Arms. Its dedication reads:

The Royal Coat of Arms was erected here
In 1955
To the Glory of God
To commemorate the Coronation of Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II
And as a Thankoffering from eleven soldiers
Of this parish for their safe return in 1945
From Prisoner-of-War camps in Germany and Japan

F Albino   H B Guttering
R J Barker   F I North
E G C Beckwith   B M Pike
H Billford   A W Snowdon
R K Bonnet   F Watts
G Watts

Metal Cross

Metal cross with a ring encircling the centre . It bears the inscription:

Presented by
Lowdham & District
Royal British Legion
In memory of
R H Jones 1981