For this church:
Mansfield St Peter and St Paul
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. West tower late C12, raised C14, spire 1666, restored 1897. North aisle C13 and C14. Nave C14. Clerestorey, south aisle north and south chapels and transept C15. Chancel c1475, incorporating C12 fragments. North and south porches C19. Vestry c1905. Restored C19. MATERIALS: coursed rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and leaded and plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, impost band and crenellated parapets. Vestry has moulded plain parapet, porches have coped gables. Chancel east end has flush side chapels, each with a diagonal buttress. Central 5-light pointed-arch window with Decorated tracery flanked by single 3-light pointed-arch windows with Perpendicular tracery, all with hoodmoulds and stops. South chapel has to south a flat-headed 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. North chapel has a central pointed arched door with hoodmould and stops, flanked by stepped single buttresses. Beyond, to east, a 2-light, and to west a 3-light window, both with flat heads. Single-storey vestry, to east, has clerestorey roof and to south, 2 flat-headed plain 3-light windows. In the return angle, a porch with door to east and single window to south. Nave clerestorey has on each side 4 restored flat-headed 3-light windows. South transept has a 3-light pointed arch window with Perpendicular tracery to south and a similar flat-headed 2-light window to east. South aisle, 4 bays, has 3 flat-headed 3-light windows with Reticulated tracery, the smaller one to west of the porch with less tracery. West end has a 4-light pointed arch window. North aisle, 4 bays, has to east a 3-light pointed-arch window with Decorated tracery, then to west a 2-light pointed-arch window, and beyond the porch, a single lancet, all with hoodmoulds. West end has a 3-light pointed-arch window with Perpendicular tracery. North and south porches have flanking buttresses and moulded pointed-arched doorways with shafts, hoodmoulds and stops, and wooden gates. On either side, double lancets. Arch braced roofs and moulded doorways with hoodmoulds, that to north flanked by tomb slabs. Square unbuttressed west tower, 3 stages, has string courses and crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Ground stage has to west a round-arched doorway with hoodmould, and above it, a small round-arched window. Second stage has on 3 sides a round-arched double bell opening with round shafts and waterleaf capitals. Bell stage has on each side a 2-light pointed-arch bell opening with hoodmould. Set back octagonal spire has a single tier of pedimented lucarnes, ball finial and weathercock. INTERIOR: double chamfered chancel arch with clustered responds and hoodmould. Low pitched renewed roof with moulded beams, panelled ceiling and bosses. Arch braces on corbels. East end has sill band and stained-glass window by Kempe, 1905, flanked to right by an ogee headed door. Elaborate corniced reredos. North and south sides have 2 chamfered pointed arches with half-octagon responds and C19 Perpendicular style traceried screens, with leaded glass in the west bays. South side has to east a chamfered pointed piscina and elliptical arched aumbry. Side chapels have renewed low pitched lean-to roofs with arch braces and traceried spandrels. South chapel has stained-glass east window, 1875, flanked by ogee-headed door to left, and to right by an incised slab to a priest, c1280. South side has an elliptical arched piscina, and the north side a squint. Transept contains organ in Baroque-style case. North chapel of St George has traceried panelled reredos, c1918, and stained-glass east window, C19. North-west window has stained glass, 1912. Nave has 4-bay arcades with tall slender square piers with demi-shafts with fillets, double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and mask stops. Renewed low pitched roof with arch braces on corbels. West end has late C12 rebated tower arch with square responds, and above it, a large round-arched opening. Tower chamber has splayed corner with round-arched doorway, and west window with stained glass, 1900. Aisles have renewed roofs with traceried spandrels, internal porches, and at their east ends, double chamfered arches with Perpendicular style traceried wooden screens. South aisle has to east a chamfered C13 piscina and square aumbry, and above them a stained-glass window, c1870. To west, a segment-arched tomb recess with a male figure c1300, and above it, a stained-glass window c1889. South-west and west windows have stained glass c1890. North aisle has 2 windows flanking the porch with stained glass c1872, and north east window with stained glass, 1902. FITTINGS: C19 round ashlar pulpit with alabaster dressings, chamfered square ashlar font with marble shafts, and brass eagle lectern. C19 plain stalls and benches with mayor's pew with crest and motto. MONUMENTS: numerous brasses, early C17 to early C19. Restored painted stone inscribed tablet with scroll top and crest in oval cartouche, 1634. Charity board c1670. Mid C18 double tablet with scrolls and cornice. 4 marble and slate tablets, late C18 and early C19. Segment headed war memorial tablet, c1918. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 168).
Churchyard boundary wall and gates. Dated 1832, with early C20 addition. Curved layout, flanking Church Street and Bridge Street. Approx 200m long. Coursed squared stone wall with moulded ashlar coping, formerly topped with a railing. Main gateway has steps flanked by ogee-curved walls topped with cast-iron railing. Square piers on pedestals, topped with tapered shafts of cast-iron lamps. Pair of renewed wrought-iron gates with openwork iron piers. To its left, an early C20 stone arch containing a notice board, with a swept hipped slate roof. Side gate, to Bridge Street, has similar gate and steps flanked by ogee-curved walls, with date. Included for group value.
Former grammar school, now parish hall. Founded 1551, rebuilt 1714-19, restored and extended 1851, further extensions late C19. Coursed rubble, coursed squared stone and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Main block, facing churchyard, has plinth, moulded eaves, and 2 coped rear corner stacks. 2 storeys; 6-window range of reglazed 2-light casements with stone flush mullions. Below, off-centre porch with steep pitched coped gable and round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts. Above the door, a panel with Latin inscription. To left, 3 reglazed 2-light casements with stone flush mullions, and to right, 2 similar windows. Above, between floors, 2 small square casements with glazing bars. In each gable, a large segment-headed 3-light transomed casement on each floor. Adjoining the right gable, a hipped 2-storey porch with a doorway with stone lintel. Its right return has a 3-light transomed casement to the first floor. To its right, a lower 2-storey flat-roofed addition with a 2-light casement to the ground floor. Its right return has a 2-light casement, and below, a door. 2-storey rear wing has side wall stack and 2 wooden-framed cross casements to the first floor. Late C19 schoolroom addition, to right, has contrasting first-floor band and coped gables, one with a gabled single bellcote, the other with a finial. Slate roof with central hipped blind dormer and 2 gabled ventilators. 2 storeys; 3-window range of shouldered 3-light lancets with stone mullions, and below, three 3-light stone mullioned cross casements. Each gable has a segmental pointed 4-light transomed window with hoodmould, and above it, a pointed-arched louvred opening. Below, a 4-light stone-mullioned cross casement. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 170).
War memorial. c1920. Ashlar. Octagonal base, 3 steps, carrying octagonal pedestal with plinth and inscribed granite tablets. Tapered octagonal shaft with moulded base, topped with a crucifix. Included for group value.