For this church:
Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.
1-2.A pair of pointed lights with pointed arches with rectangular glazing set within a narrow border. The glass is clear, decorated with just 4 small squares of red and 2 small squares of green glass in the border.
3.A pair of tall pointed lights surmounted by a roundel with six semi-circular extensions. The roundel features three haloed angels facing right, set against a blue background. The upper two sections are divided by the stone frame. In the left light there is a blue castle with a round gateway tower behind a blue robed figure wearing a crown, with a background crowd; the scene continues into the right light with a depiction of St. George mounted on a dark coloured horse. In his right hand St. George holds a lance with the point downwards impaling a dragon. The flag of St. George flies from the top of the upturned lance. Separating the upper and lower sections of the light is a band of text:
In the lower sections on the left is St. George on a white horse again carrying his flag with his army following him, also bearing the flag of St. George. The text panel reads:
The latter being the description of the lower right section showing St George with a halo standing before the seated figure of Diocletian.
Roundel set high in the west gable. This large very colourful roundel has the cross of St. George in the centre with eight wheel spokes radiating to the outer circle; each pear drop spoke is filled with pale yellow glass with black lines, giving the impression of sun rays. The outer circle is filled with eight trefoils each displaying the head and shoulders of a winged angel. This window is attributed to Burlinson and Grylls, 1927.
5.Window 5 is the same design as Window 3, but the figures in the stained glass are different. The angels in the roundel face left and the left light the upper panel shows a figure wearing a short tunic and holding a flaming sword aloft. The upper right panel depicts a white robed figure holding a scroll, both are set against the same blue castle background as window 3.
Dividing the upper and lower panels is the script:
The lower left panel shows seated figure gazing up at the standing figure of an angel, a scroll below is inscribed:
The lower left light depicts a blue robed, haloed figure holding a child, both set within a golden sun-blaze. The scroll underneath is inscribed:
Dedication panel lower right corner:
Lozenge-framed glazing with a narrow border depicting a dark green robed St. Etheldreda, her head is crowned and surrounded by a light blue halo. In her hands she supports a model of Ely cathedral and resting in her bent right arm is a staff with a decorated head showing three gold crowns on a red background. A scroll above her head is inscribed ‘St. Etheldreda’ and a dedication panel at the bottom of the light reads:
The dedication panel reads:
A group of five single pointed lights depicting saints, attributed to H.T. Hinks of Hinchcliffe, Hinks and Burnell dating from 1924-34. This company was a locally based manufacturer which in 1934 worked in Hermit Street, Sneinton.
Windows 8-12 share the same framing and dimensions as windows 6 and 7 but have different colour schemes and glazing bars.
The dedication panel at the bottom of the window reads:
The scroll at the head of the window identifies the figure as St. Wilfred Abp. He is shown wearing a Bishop’s mitre and holding a staff in his right hand and an open book in his left hand. The inscription at the bottom of the light reads:
St. Aiden is the figure in this light. His scroll reads ‘St. Aiden B C’. In his right hand he holds his Bishop’s staff and in his left hand a candlestick with the candle lit surrounded by glowing light. At the bottom of the light the dedication panel reads:
11.This window has a scroll naming St. Chad. He too is wearing a bishop’s mitre, but holds a model of Lichfield cathedral in both hands, with his bishop’s staff held by his right arm. The dedication at the bottom of the light reads:
In the lower right of the light a possible smudged maker’s mark can be seen.
12.The final window in the north aisle celebrates St. Paulinus Abp. He too wears a bishop’s mitre and cradles a model of York Minster in his arms, with a staff headed by an ornate cross resting on his right shoulder. The inscription states the name of a former churchwarden:
Glazing on the north side is completed by a number of plain leaded lights in the vestries and small rooms.
Set within a high arch housing the east window are two smaller lights, one on the north and one on the south wall.
14.The east window. A large colourful window comprising a tall cinquefoil headed central light with a lower trefoil headed supporting light each side. The left light shows the Virgin Mary in the upper part, above an inscription which separates it from the lower section which shows an angel holding a small child. The text reads:
Central light – Christ on the Cross. A figure with the cross of St Andrew can be seen filling the head of the light. Below the crucifix the dividing line of text reads:
Below St George is shown impaling the Dragon.
The light is completed by the right hand light having a red robed figure. The text reads:
Below there is a blue robed figure resting on a square font. The widow was installed in 1902 and is attributed to Burlinson and Grylls.
Blessed Sacrament Chapel
16.A small trefoil headed light with lozenge patterned glazing with a rectangular panel set in the middle. The image is that of St George identified by his flag and the vertical text on the left side of the light reading ‘George’. It is titled St George and is said to be probably of German manufacture.
17.The same shape as window 16 but completely filled with a depiction of Christ holding a chalice and communion bread. Over His head are two haloed figures holding aloft a crown. Text at the bottom of the light reads:
It is titled ‘Our Lord in Glory’ and is also said to be probably of German manufacture.
18.Installed in 1948 and made by the Whitefriar whose mark is clearly visible in the lower right corner of each window. A colourful two light window, each light having a trefoil head with mainly lozenge patterned glazing inside a narrow border. In the left upper section is the figure of a red and white robed angel holding a short staff, below in a shorter panel is a blue robed figure. The right upper panel has a blue and gold robed figure above a red robed kneeling figure. The dedication across the bottom of the lights reads:
19.The design and manufacture are the same as for Window 18. In the upper left, a green and red robed figure, in the lower left a red kneeling figure with haloed figure above. In the upper right, a blue robed standing figure with smaller blue robed figure set in an oval in the centre of the light. The text is a continuation of window 18:
In the upper left, two figures both haloed, one in red carrying a pitcher the other in blue, below a rectangular panel set in the centre of the light with a priest baptising a child in the font with the mother looking on. The upper right is filled with a bearded figure looking to heaven with a female figure standing behind him. The lower panel again has an inset panel showing a standing male holding the hand of a child with a kneeling female supporting the child. The inscription reads:
South aisle windows 21-26. The same design as windows 1 and 2 in the west gable.
The nave is well lit by the eight broad windows that line each side of the clerestory. Each window has two lights, surmounted by a six petal roundel. All are glazed in a larger than usual rectangular pattern with clear glass.