Pleasley Vale St Chad

Official Listing Description

SK 56 NW



(south side)

Church of St. Chad

Grade II

Parish church. 1881. For Joseph Paget. Coursed squared rubble and brick, with slate roof. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, sill band, bargeboards, gables with crosses. Windows are leaded chamfered lancets. Nave, chancel, north porch, north and south transepts. Bell turret. Buttressed nave, 5 bays, has to north 4 lancets and above, 3 gabled trefoiled dormers. West end has C13 style triple lancet with timber tracery and hood mould. South side has 5 lancets and above, 3 plain dormers. Bell turret, to west, octagonal, has patterned leaded base, pointed bell openings, conical leaded and slated roof with weathercock. Single bay chancel has to east, triple lancet with hood mould, and above, a blind lancet. On each side, a trefoiled gable. Buttressed north porch has to north a pointed doorway with hood mould. Single bay north transept has a lancet to north. Similar south transept has a lancet to south and above, a blind lancet. Outside, linked ashlar steps with 4 ashlar piers with square domed caps. Saddleback coped balustrade. Porch interior has wooden benches, fitted wardrobe and common rafter roof. Nave has matchboarded dado and scissor braced crown post roof. Matchboard lining and moulded wall plate. West window has stained glass inscribed 'To the Glory of God and in thankful remembrance of March 19 1861'. Chancel has timber screen, with traceried panels and rood. Roof similar to nave. East end has elaborate C14 style timber panelling with moulded crest, framing large painted canvas panels. Above, crest and panels with painted text. 3 icons in C14 style surrounds. Vestry in north transept has no architectural features. Organ chamber in south transept has 2 framed painted canvas panels. Fittings include octagonal font on chamfered base, with inscribed panel. Wooden cover with flying buttresses and cross finial. Bracketed wrought iron lectern. Wrought iron skeleton pulpit with C20 infill panels. Altar rail with wrought iron stands. Framed pitch pine seats with trefoiled ends. Matching stalls with bookstands on wrought iron legs. Memorials include Roll of Honour, 1914. Brass referring to bell, 1955. Brass inscribed 'In memory of the servants of God Jospeh Paget of Stuffynwood Hall and Helen Elizabeth his wife builders of this curch.' This building is reputed to have been first erected in Stuffynwood, Derbyshire in 1861 and removed to this site in 1881.

Listing NGR: SK5269765081