St Peter and St Paul


The churchyard surrounds the church, but the main active sections are to the north and west. The oldest surviving stone is that of Thomas Rainer who died on 5 October 1720. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the churchyard was graced with a number of fine slate headstones carved by Sparrow and Eastwood of Radcliffe-on-Trent and Wood of Bingham. Six airmen killed locally in 1941 and 1942 are remembered with War Graves Commission gravestones which are looked after by a rota of villagers. The problem of mowing and maintenance was eased from 1953 when the stones were moved to the boundaries. The churchyard is still open for burials. In 1989 part was set aside for a Garden of Remembrance for cremations.

Within the churchyard, fifty metres south west of the church, is an earthwork from a Civil War gun battery. This has been scheduled as a monument of national importance by English Heritage.