St Augustine

Monuments and Memorials

Harriet Pare Memorial

Brass on wood plaque, to right of south door.

To the Glory of God and in memory of Harriet Pare who died January 26th 1904. She was for many years a worshipper and worker in this Church and Parish, and bequeathed £1000 to the Vicar and Churchwardens to be used at their discretion. As a result the income of the living was substantially increased

James Marsh Memorial

Wood plaque to right of War Memorial.

In memory of James Marsh, faithful and devoted Verger of this Church 1889-1917 who died January 30th 1924. Aged 69 years.

John Ferguson MacCallan Memorial

Brass tablet on north wall of chancel (and the eagle lectern) were given by friends of John Ferguson MacCallan, vicar from 1868-1883. The inscription read:

This tablet and the lectern were placed in this church by the friends of John Ferguson McCallan, M.A., for 15 years vicar of this parish, as a token of their sorrow at his death, and their sense of his faithfulness as a pastor, his usefulness as a citizen, his unselfishness as a man, and his untiring energy in all good works. He fell asleep on May 30th, 1883, in the 50th year of his age, and in the full vigour of his powers. ‘Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.’

Small brass plaque

To right of door into covered way.

The panelling on the west wall of this baptistery was given by members of this church in grateful memory of James Henry Shipstone 1874-1956 churchwarden, Christian gentleman and generous benefactor.

Small brass plaque

The north wall panelling of this baptistery was given by members of the church in thankful remembrance of The Rev.Thomas Wayland Peck M.A. devoted vicar of this parish 1916-1934.

Small brass plaque

on north wall of baptistery

The font cover was given by Ethel Stevenson and her daughter Marjorie in loving memory of Henry Ernest Stevenson (church officer) 1888-1957, and his daughter Jessie Mary 1915-1950.