For this church:
Bestwood Park Church began as a Methodist church. South-west Bestwood saw significant housing development in the 1950s. In 1950 the Methodists opened a church on Arnold Street Road. Around 1951 the Nottingham Central Circuit began work for a new church in the growing estate.
In September 1963 the first Methodist service was held in William Old Boys Club. The first Minister was the Rev H Cleave.
Bestwood Park church was built with money from a grant from the Joseph Rank Benevolent Fund. The architects were Messrs Bartlett and Grey of West Bridgford. Originally the present building was designed as the church hall and the church itself was to be built on the grass in front of the church. However this plan was abandoned before the current building was finished and the plans were adapted to include a sanctuary area in the hall.
The foundation stone of Bestwood Park Church was laid by Alderman F A Small on 13 November 1965. Overall the building cost £26,000. On 21 July 1966 an opening ceremony was held, led by Paul Lang of the Joseph Rank Benevolent fund.
In 1967 the Methodist church on Arnold Street ceased to meet and the congregation united with the congregation of Bestwood Park Church.
Bestwood Park Church became a local ecumenical partnership in 1981. Bestwood Park church and the nearby St Luke’s Anglican Church had held monthly joint services from around 1977. In 1981 the two congregations joined together. On 24 June Bestwood Park Church celebrated a service of unity presided over by the Rev Brian Greet and the Bishop of Southwell.
In 1991 Bestwood Park Church celebrated 10 years as a local ecumenical partnership. In the same year the church celebrated the 25th anniversary of the church building.
Since 2002 the church has been joined with Bestwood Rise Park Church as a united benefice, sharing one Anglican minister and one Methodist minister.
The church’s pipe organ was removed in c2007.
Bestwood Park church is now part of the Bestwood six, made up of Bestwood Park Church, Emmanuel Church, St Mark’s Church, St Matthew’s Church, St Philip’s Church and Bestwood Rise Park Church. The group pledged to work and worship together and to share resources and expertise.