For this church:
The original churchyard of St John’s is relatively small. It was rectangular in shape and the original enclosing wall to the north is still extant. Where the east wall or boundary was, is marked now by a number of mature trees. The headstones are mostly rectangular in shape or have a curved top. There are some in the form of a cross.
A further extension was consecrated in 1934 so that the churchyard is L-shaped and very much larger with its eastern boundary now along the A60 road.
Near the south chancel door is a wooden cross. It bears no text but there is a bas-relief carving of a sword and chalice. A cross in the churchyard is referred to in the memorial to Janie Bruce.