For this church:
Carrington St John
Nave completed 1843
Chancel added 1873 with N.organ chamber ; vestries 1894
North aisle and Lady chapel added 1922-4
Significant Interior Features
C19th - C20th interior fittings and furnishings
Gallery removed in 1890
Font C19th, copy of Barnack, Northants.
83 ft.3 ins, long by 38 ft.3 ins, wide, with a porch at the south-west corner and a bell turret above the west end gable. Slim buttresses between plain windows were topped off with crocketed pinnacles, several of which have had to be removed subsequently. In between the pinnacles is a stone parapet with trefoil perforations. The nave could accommodate 350, plus room for 120 children in the gallery at the west end. The dark oak roof is of hammer beam construction, with dark tiles on the outside.
In 1873 a 25 feet long stone chancel with a slate roof was added (architects Jackson & Heazell), with an organ chamber on the north side. A lofty chancel arch was inserted with serpentine marble shafts, and two carved and moulded corbels were decorated with painted angels. Chancel stalls of pitch pine were set on encaustic and mosaic tiles. The window formerly at the east end of the nave was shortened and inserted into the east end of the chancel. Outside the dripstone ends in a ‘Green Man’ at one end and a ‘tongue poker’ at the other.
In the mid-1890s the gallery was taken down and new vestries built. A door in the west wall was blocked up. The high deal pews were removed and replaced by chairs.
An aisle, vestries and a lady chapel were added on the north side in 1924. They too were built of stone with slate roofs, although the vestry roofs were flat. A door was inserted in both the aisle and the main vestry, and the north wall of the nave was opened up into an arcade with five arches and four slender hexagonal columns. A foundation stone for the new aisle was laid by the Bishop of Southwell on St John the Baptist day in 1922.
Timbers and roofs
Stone bellcote at west end, integral with the construction of the nave in 1843.
Scheduled for preservation Grade 3.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
There have been no significant archaeological excavations within the church or churchyard. The church had no predecessor on this site and the archaeology of the pre-church position is unknown. The prospect of surviving pre-1843 archaeology is unknown, though construction of the building has probably limited the scope within the footprint of the building.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground, pre-1843 archaeology in the churchyard is considered unknown and below the present interior floors is considered to be low.
Interior:Construction layers from 1840s and later.