Kneesall St Bartholomew

Official Listing Description

SK 76 SW




(north side)

Church of St. Bartholomew

Grade I

Parish church. C14, C15, tower c.1425, restored 1846 and 1860 and 1893 by Hodgson Fowler. Coursed squared rubble, dressed stone and rockfaced and plain ashlar. Concrete, asbestos cement and slate roofs. Partial chamfered and moulded plinths, chamfered and coved eaves, moulded coped parapets, moulded sill bands, coped gables with kneelers. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, boiler house, south porch. West tower, c.1425, 3 stages, has 2 string courses and eaves band with bosses and remains of 6 angels and beasts. 2 spouts to north and south. Traceried panelled parapet with 4 restored panelled crocketed pinnacles. Pair of C19 corner buttresses to west, 4 setoffs. Pair of plain buttresses to east, engaged with aisles, 2 setoffs. First stage has, to west, C15 chamfered doorway with hood mould, mask stops and peak, C19 door. Above, early C15 double lancet, restored, with cusped ogee heads, cusped quatrefoil and mask stops. Restored. Above again, clock. Third stage has 4 C15 double lancets with cusped ogee heads, cusped quatrefoils, hood moulds and mask stops. Boiler house, C19, has keeled eaves band, moulded parapet, blocked opening to west and to north, blocked window with segmental head. Nave clerestorey, 3 bays, C15, has on each side 3 gargoyles and 3 double lancets with cusped ogee heads and chamfered Tudor arched reveals. North aisle, C14, has restored C15 windows and rainwater head, 1873. 3 buttresses, 2 and 3 setoffs. North side has to west, C14 chamfered doorway with hood mould and plank door. To east, 2 triple lancets with cusped ogee heads, panel tracery, hood moulds and mask stops. East and west ends have each a similar smaller triple lancet, restored, that to east with hood mould and mask stops. South aisle, 3 bays, rebuilt C19, has sill band and corner buttress each end, that to west C19, single setoffs. Rainwater head dated 1880. East end has a C14 double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. South side has to east, C13 double lancet, restored, with trefoil head and hood mould. To west, a C14 double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould, restored and possibly re-sited. West end has C19 double lancet with Y tracery, restored. Chancel, C15, 3 bays, has partial plinth and eaves bands, and sill band. North side has 2 C19 buttresses, 3 setoffs and a double and single gargoyle. To west, 2 C13 chamfered lancets, restored. East end has a pair of C19 corner buttresses, 3 setoffs plus plinth, sill band and crenellated coped gable with 2 crocketed pinnacles. Single late C15 5 light lancet with cusped round heads, panel tracery and hood mould with mask stops. South side has 2 C19 buttresses, 3 setoffs, rainwater head dated 1846, coved eaves with remains of 2 gargoyles and central crocketed pinnacle. Central C14 priest's door, double chamfered and rebated, with ogee hood mould and mask finial. Above and to its left, restored C13 lancet, and on each side a C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, panel tracery and square headed reveals with hood moulds and mask stops. Lancet to left is taller. Both heavily restored C20. South porch, C19, has 2 flanking buttresses to south, and C13 style doorway with hood mould and stops. East side has a single squat C13 lancet. Interior has a re-sited church bench and a scissor braced common rafter roof. Inner south doorway, C13, restored, has cove moulded reveal and hood mould. C19 doors. Nave arcades have each 3 octagonal piers, C14, with water holding bases and a variety of moulded octagonal capitals. Double chamfered and moulded arches with linked hood moulds and mask stops, restored. C15 roof with chamfered tie beams and double purlins. Matchboarded C19. Tower arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated with octagonal responds and imposts. Pair of additional brackets above imposts, with mask and Arms. Tower chamber has 2 moulded four centred arched doorways. North aisle has C19 lean-to roof. South aisle has partial sill band to east, and restored C15 lean-to roof. Chancel arch, early C15, coved and chamfered, with hood mould and angel corbels. Chancel north side has west window with stained glass, 1911. To east, blocked chamfered square aumbry. East end has sill band and to south a moulded bracket. South side has to east a C14 piscina with cusped trefoil head. Roof C15 style with moulded timbers and ogee corbels. Fittings include square C19 font on round stem with flanking shafts,and wooden cover withcross, 1926. Disused shallow eggcup font with round stem and chamfered square base. Fragment of C11 cross base with interlaced decoration. C19 tripod iron lectern with scrollwork and altar rail with similar supports. 11 C15 benches with shaped ends with traceried panels and lozenge finials, one with mask finial. Partly restored C19 moulded oak benches, some with traceried panels. 4 C19 pierced panelled stalls. C19 octagonal ashlar pulpit with pierced traceried panels and octagonal stem. Communion table, early C17, with bulbous turned legs and moulded chip carved top rail. Monuments include brass, 1893, referring to restoration, large glazed tile war memorial tablet, 1918. Brasses 1902, c.1974.