Monuments and Memorials
A plaque in memory of William Seddon, rector of Linby from 1663 to his death in 1684. The Latin inscription reads:
IVXTA : HVNC : PARIETEM [: IACET]
CORPVS : WILLM : SEDDON : [HVIVS]
ECCLESIAE : PANOS : MINISTERI : QV[I]
ANHELANTE : ECCLESIA : ANGLICAN[A]
20ANHELLIS : ANNIMAM : DEOP : CHR[IS]
TV : REDDIDIT : VICESSIMO : OCT[AV]
O : DIE : FEBRVARI : ANO : DMI : 1684
AETATIS : SVAE : 50
VITA : VITAE : MORTALIS : EST SP[ECIMEN]
: IMORTALE :
The Reverend L. Illingworth Butler freely translated
the inscription as:
'Hard by this wall lies the body of William Seddon, for many years minister
of this church; who at the sight of the Anglican church gasping for breath,
himself became breathless and rendered up his life to God through Christ on
the 28th day February 1684, aged 50. "His mortal life a pattern of life immortal".'
Nearby is a memorial to William Seddon's wife Dorothy, the daughter of William Burnell of Winkburn, who died in 1679.
|VNDERNEATH BY THIS
WALE LYETH THE
BODIE OF DOROTHY
WIFE OF WILI SEDON
RECTOR OF LINBY AND
DOVGHTER OF WILLI
BVRNELL OF WINKE
BVRNE ESQ WHO LIV
ED PIOVSLYE AND DY
ED NOVEMBER 17 1679
ATATIS SVAE 73
On the south jamb of the chancel arch is a memorial to Louisa Mary Weddall who died in 1891.
loving memory of
Louisa Mary Weddall,
wife of the late
William Langstaff Weddall, M.A.
Vicar of Darsham, Suffolk,
who died April 14th 1891
in the 81st year of her age.
To commemorate her
stedfast Christian faith, her active piety
and unfailing sympathy,
This table is erected by
her affectionate and only son,
the Rector of this Parish.
On the north jamb of the chancel arch is a memorial to Henrietta, wife of the Rev Thomas Hurt, rector of Linby from 1797 to 1853.
To the much-lamented Memory
of Henrietta, Wife of the Revd Thos Hurt Junr.
Rector of this Parish,
And Daughter of WILLM UNWIN Esqr
Of Sutton, in this County;
Who died Feby 28th 1806,
Leaving Issue one Child.
On the east wall of the Lady Chapel is an alabaster
tablet commemorating George Chaworth (died 1557) and Mary his wife (died 1562). The inscription reads:
In this litle Chapelle under the tow grave Stones withe
Crosses lyethe George Chaworthe Esquire and Marye his wife
the Doughter of Sir Henrie Sacheuerell knight late
farmers of this mannor place and demeanes of Lyn=
bye be twine home was isue three Sonns and three
doughters which George dyed the tow and twen=
tithe of Auguste anno dmi, 1557, and Marie
his Said wiffe died the XV of IVNE anno dmi
1562 on whos Sowells God hath mercie.
On the south wall of the tower ground floor is a plaque commemorating Joseph Timms who died in 1890.
IS ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF
FOR 17 YEARS FOREMAN OF LINBY COLLIERY,
AND A CONSTANT WORSHIPPER
IN THIS CHURCH,
AS A TESTIMONY TO HIS WORTH
AND THE ESTEEM IN WHICH HE WAS HELD
BY HIS EMPLOYERS AND FELLOW WORKMEN,
HE DIED JANY 20TH 1890,
AGED 73 YEARS.