For this church:
Stanton on the Wolds All Saints
Monuments and Memorials
The oldest monument in the church is a broken alabaster slab lying on the south side within the altar rails. The Reliquary (1872-3) records that it appears to have originally borne the representation of two figures in long flowing robes with several smaller figures praying below. Only a few words of the marginal inscription in Old English characters could be deciphered:
…….of his…..of August, in this yeare of o Lord….
Tradition ascribes this monument to the Clifton family who held the manor of Stanton on the Wolds.
On the north side within the altar rails is a black slate slab inscribed:
This Sir John Parsons was the son and successor of Sir William Parsons, of Langley in Buckinghamshire. He married Catherine, the elder sister and co-heiress of Sir William Clifton, of Clifton, Baronet, and through her acquired the manor of Stanton on the Wolds. They resided for some years in the manor house.
A brass plate nearby is inscribed:
In the middle of the chancel floor is a slate slab inscribed:
The Rev Thomas Smith was subsequently rector (1848-76). He and his wife, Sarah, are buried in the churchyard where there is also a headstone for a married daughter, Sarah Ann Fletcher died 24 April 1873 aged 29.
A slate floor stone in the nave bears the inscription:
Thomas Oldknow was from a family long resident in Nottingham. He was an alderman, sheriff and several times mayor of that borough. His first wife, Phoebe, was the third daughter of Joseph Mather of Shipley, Derbyshire, gentleman.
Behind the south door, there is a small slate slab on the wall with the inscription: