For this church:
Wellow St Swithin
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1878 by Ewan Christian and 1968. Coursed dressed stone with plain tile and slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinths, chamfered eaves, coped gables with crosses. South west tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south aisle, south porch. Tower, C12, C13, C15, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, dentillated top band, coved eaves with an off-centre gargoyle on each side, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. 4 buttresses, 3 setoffs, those to east engaged with aisle and nave. First stage has to south, square blank recess. To west, restored C13 door with hood mould. Second stage, has to west, chamfered C13 lancet and clock Third stage has 4 plain chamfered louvred double lancets. Nave, C14, 3 bays, has at west end triple lancet with ogee heads, Decorated tracery and hood mould. North side has a buttress at each end, 2 setoffs. To east, restored early C14 double lancet with cusped heads and hood mould, and to west, single C13 chamfered lancet. Chancel, 1878, 3 bays, has buttress to north east and to north, 3 trefoil headed lancets. East end has triple lancet with cusped geometrical tracery. Vestry, to south, has to east, chamfered shouldered doorway. South side has off-centre chamfered projection and 5 slit lights. South aisle, C14, restored, has buttress to south east, 2 setoffs. East end has C14 double lancet with Y tracery, and above, C19 trefoil window. South side has central C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. North porch, C19 in C13 style, has 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable. Chamfered doorway with octagonal responds, bases and capitals, and hood mould. On each side, a chamfered lancet. Interior has a timber bench and common rafter roof with collars. Inner doorway, C19, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould. Nave south arcade, C14. 3 bays, with single octagonal pier and matching responds with moulded bases and capitals, plus pseudo pier to west. Chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and central mask stop. C19 sill bands. C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces. South aisle has to west, tower arch, C13, restored, with double chamfer and rebate and octagonal responds. Moulded sill bands. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1878. Trefoil window above has stained glass. C19 common rafter roof with collars. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has chamfer and rebate plus filleted roll mould. Hood mould with stops. Imposts are moulded corbels carrying 2 short shafts. Timber screen, Perpendicular style, late C19, with pair of wrought iron gates. Chancel has moulded sill bands. East end has C19 timber reredos and gradine, and window with stained glass, C19. South side has to east C13 style piscina. To west, opening to organ chamber. Common rafter roof with collars and cusped arch braces. Fittings include panelled octagonal ashlar font and pulpit, C19. C19 benches, stalls and desks. C20 lectern. Monuments include Egyptian style tablet with rose in low relief, by Edwin Smith to Elizabeth Peel, 1851. Benefactions board, C19. 2 war memorial tablets. Brass, 1871.
Tomb slab. 1651. Ashlar. To Alice Braylesford. Incised Arms with scrollwork. Marginal inscription reads "Hic jacet Alice Uxor Guli Braylesford de Willey Gen... et haec... Lawr Stirrop de Lincolne M...D...C..."
Triple chest tomb. 1803. Single chest tomb. 1819. Ashlar. Triple tomb has moulded corners with central blank panel on north and south sides. East end has 3 smaller blank panels. To Francis Vessey. Single tomb has reeded corners and hipped top, and an inscribed panel on each long side. To John Vessey. Both tombs are enclosed by a chamfered ashlar kerb.