Monuments and Memorials
North wall of nave
In the north wall of the nave, to the west of the porch, are displayed, from west to east:
A plaque recording donations made to the Parish in 1817, with text as follows:
DONATIONS of £31 5s. 3d.
To the Parish of Wellow
The interest arising there-
from for the Education of
Six Poor Children
LAND situate and be-
queathed to the Parish of
Wellow, the Rents of which
are to be distributed to
the Poor at the discretion
of the Churchwardens:
viz. A HOUSE & GARDEN
in the Occupation of
John Warrener. Also 3a-2r.
of Land in the Occupati-
on of George Stancer
John Gadsby, Churchwardens 1817.
Still in the north wall, but to the east of the porch, is a monument to Elizabeth Peel, dated 1851, with a carefully and sentimentally carved rose by Edwin Smith of Sheffield. The inscription reads:
|THE GRASS WITHERETH, THE FLOWER FADETH, BUT THE
WORD OF OUR GOD SHALL STAND FOREVER
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
WIFE OF LIEU. W. PEEL 53RD REGIMENT
WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON THE 18TH OCTOBER 1851
ON BOARD THE STEAMER ‘ORIENTAL’ WHEN GOING DOWN THE RED SEA
EN ROUTE TO JOIN HER HUSBAND IN INDIA
SHE DIED AT THE EARLY AGE OF 25 YEARS.
East wall of south aisle
In front of the east window of the south aisle is a faded plaque. Like the window, this is dedicated to the memory of Louisa Blanche Foljambe. The inscription is now only partially legible but reads as follows:
|In memory of Louisa Blanche the beloved wife of Cecil George Savile Fojambe of [????] and eldest daughter of Frederick John and Lady Fanny Howard. She died 7th Oct 1871 Aged 29 and is laid with her 2nd son the Vault at Sutton [/] Notts. The above last window of this Aisle is created by her sorrowing husband.