Annesley All Saints

Official Listing Description

SK 55 SW



(east end)

Church of All Saints

Grade II

Parish church. Designed 1874 by T. G. Jackson. Rebuilt 1907 following a fire. C13 and C14 styles. Coursed and squared rubble with steep pitched gabled and lean-to Westmorland slate roofs. Porch timber framed. Chamfered plinth and string courses, coped gables with kneelers. Partly buttressed. Single octagonal gable and single round side wall stacks. North east tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, north and south aisles, vestries, south porch. Tower, 3 stages, has 3 pairs of corner buttresses and square corner stair turret. 2 string courses and cusped eaves band. First stage has to west, door with segmental head. Second stage has on 3 sides a rectangular light. Third stage has on each side 2 moulded double lancets with Y tracery and hood moulds. Squat octagonal broach spire with 4 lucarnes, each with Y traceried double lancet. Finial and weathercock. Nave, 6 bays, has clerestory with 6 chamfered lancets each side. West end has 2 gabled flanking buttresses and moulded central doorway with flanking buttresses and hood mould. Above, double lancet flanked by smaller single lancets all with hood moulds. Above again, triple lancet vent. North aisle, 2 bays, has 2 triple lancets with square headed reveals. West end has single lancet with hood mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has 2 buttresses. East end has Geometrical double lancet with hood mould. South side has to east, 2 mullioned casements with square headed reveals. To west, single lancet with square headed opening. West end has a lancet with hood mould. Porch vestry to south west, square plan, has moulded eaves, coped parapet and single buttress. East side has double lancet. West side has triple lancet, both with square heads. To right, four centred arched doorway. Clergy vestry has similar eaves and parapet plus string course. East side has triple square headed lancet. North side has steps to door with segmental head. Chancel, 3 bays, has corner buttress at east end and 5 light Geometrical lancet with sill band, hood mould and foliate imposts. South side has 3 buttresses and 3 cusped double lancets. Timber framed south porch, 1874, has chamfered rubble plinth. Close studded sides have arch braces and plaster nogging. Bargeboarded south gable has doorway with arch brace and iron screen. Interior has pargetting. Plain common rafter roof. Moulded inner doorway. Nave arcades, 3 bays, have clustered filleted shafts and responds with moulded capitals and bases. Arches double chamfered and rebated. Principal rafter roof with arch braces. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with struts and arch braces. North aisle has C19 stained glass west window. East end has opening containing organ pipes. South aisle has stained glass east window, early C20. South side has memorial window, 1956, and 2 others, early C20. Chancel opening has double arch braces and tie beam with large angel corbels. North side has rebated organ opening with hood mould. East end has panelled timber reredos with canopied central niche. East window with late C19 stained glass probably by T. G. Jackson, has shafts and hood mould linked to blind flanking panels. South side has moulded double sedilia. Fittings include font, C11, drum-shaped, with criss-cross patterns. Rectangular font in C11 style, on arcaded base, 1909. Square alabaster pulpit with marble panels, 1907. Traceried stalls and desks with iron bookstands. Plain oak benches. Painted metal commandment boards in frame. 2 panels containing stained glass paintings, 1817, by Sophia Musters, removed from Colwick Church. Monuments include brass to William Breton, 1595, shrouded male effigy, C16, and effigy, C14, said to be Leania de Raines, plaster Achievement of Arms of Patricius, 3rd Viscount Chaworth, with angel supporters, 1686, all removed from Annesley Old Church. Monuments removed from Colwick Church include Classical marble chest tomb with corniced back panel, carrying 2 life-size figures in Roman dress, to John Musters and wife, 1685. Marble wall panel, draped and with skull, to Sir John Musters, 1689. D-shaped inscribed pedestal carrying 3 roundels with cherubs. Above, seated draped female figure. Signed ‘R. Westmacott R.A., London.’ To Sophia Musters, 1819. Classical square marble pedestal with three-quarter size standing female figure to Mary Ann Musters, 1832. 4 brasses to Chaworth-Musters family, late C19 and C20.