Bulwell St Mary

Official Listing Description





(North East side)

Church of St Mary the Virgin and All Souls 

Grade GV II 

Parish church. 1849-50. By HI Stevens of Derby. North chapel 1946, alterations 1978 by E Vernon Royle. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings and concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, organ chamber, north chapel and vestry, nave with aisles and porches, west tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, coped gables. Windows mainly have pointed arches and hood moulds. Chancel has a 4-light east window with intersecting tracery, and on each side, a 2-light window. Organ chamber, to south, has a 2-light window with Y tracery, similar to the aisle windows. North chapel, flat roofed, has a flat-headed mullioned window, 2 lights. Adjoining vestry has 2-light window to north and door to west. Nave clerestory has on each side five 3-light mullioned windows with flat heads. Aisles, 5 bays, have 2-light windows with Y tracery, and moulded parapets. West ends, and north aisle east end, have similar windows. North aisle has in the fourth bay a shallow gabled porch, 1978, replacing the window. South aisle has in the second bay a gabled porch with moulded pointed arched doorway and hood mould. West tower, 4 stages, has angle buttresses up to the bell stage, octagonal north-west stair turret, and crenellated parapet. Pointed arched west door with hood mould, and to its right, 2 large bronze war memorial tablets. Above the door, a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. Traceried single lancets to north and south. Above again, on 3 sides, a slit light and clock. Bell stage has a 2-light louvred opening on each side. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has moulded arch with responds, and wagon roof with ribs. East end has C19 stained glass window and elaborate alabaster reredos, Decorated style, 1900, and traceried alabaster panelling, 1912. North side has a stained glass window and a doorway. South side has a plain window and a shouldered opening containing an organ case, dated 1872. Nave has arcades with double chamfered arches and octagonal piers, and arch braced king post roof. The 2 west bays are separated by a full height partition, 1978, to form meeting rooms. The upper part contains 3 glazing bar windows with a round window above them. Aisles have lean-to roofs. North aisle has 2 windows with stained glass, 1990 and 1992, and stained glass east window, 1872. South aisle has to east a traceried stone screen, 3 lights, and stained glass south windows, C19 and 1928. Fittings include traceried octagonal font and bracketed cover, traceried stalls with poppyheads, square ended benches and brass eagle lectern, all C19. Traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit, 1891. Other fittings C20. Memorials include various small tablets, early C19 to early C20, and painted ashlar cartouche in C18 style, dated 1919-21. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 267). 

Listing NGR: SK5419045039