View of the church from the south east

East Drayton

St Peter

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery


The church of East Drayton was in the possession of the Chapter of York at least by the end of the 12th Century. Architecturally, the oldest part of the church dates from the late 12th Century with 13th and 15th Century additions.

The North arcade is 14th Century early Decorated while the South arcade is 15th Century Perpendicular. Having survived being in “an evil plight” in 15th Century, the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1857. The nave and aisles were restored by public subscription in 1873.

Features of historical interest are:

a complete mediaeval exterior almost entirely in Perpendicular style but with some work in the Decorated style and embattled everywhere

a pinnacled porch with stone arches like a timber wagon-roof, carvings of human heads and animals

the fine 15th Centurywooden screen which is canopied, vaulted and decorated with lively tracery

a 14th Century floor slab with stylised cross

replica of a 14th Century gradual

‘cake rings’ (cheeses) celebrating weddings on the interior of the bell ringing chamber walls, 1769 -1865

East Drayton is in the Bassetlaw Hundred, South Clay Division

Particular thanks to Jean & Richard Ward for research on this entry