View from the south-east


St Mary

Newark Archdeaconry

Newstead Deanery


The present church was built in the 1960s but incorporates a tower from the Victorian building of 1858. Previously on the site there was a medieval church, probably of twelfth century origin. This was replaced in 1764 by a brick-built church, which was enlarged in 1828 and was then replaced in 1858 with a stone-built, Gothic building. From this building the tower remains, but the body of the Victorian church was destroyed in a fire in 1963. It was replaced in 1965 with modern church buildings designed for convenience and comfort rather than architectural purity.

Particular thanks to E Wharmby and J Shaw for research on this entry