Hyson Green St Stephen

Official Listing Description





(North West side)

Church of St Stephen (Formerly Listed as:
St Stephen's Church)

Grade II

Church. 1897. By WD Caroe, architect to the Diocese of Southwell. Red brick with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Perpendicular Revival style. Plinth, buttresses, coped gables. PLAN: chancel, choir vestry, lantern topped with spire at junction of nave and chancel, nave with aisles and western bellcote, south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel, 2 bays, has ashlar parapet and coped gable. Blank east end, and on each side, 2 panel tracery windows, 5 lights, with moulded pointed arches. Those to the west are truncated above the aisle roofs. Flat roofed choir vestry, to south-east, has a 4-light panel tracery window to south. Clerestory, 5 bays, has alternating 2 and 3 light panel tracery windows with flat heads. West end has a gabled projecting porch moulded pointed arched doorway with foundation stone at impost level, and ornate wooden double doors. Above, a large 6-light panel tracery window set in a round-arched recess, divided by a canted brick stair turret leading to the square ashlar bellcote. North aisle, obscured by adjoining new building, has four 4-light panel tracery windows, and an off centre porch converted to a corridor. South aisle has 4 similar windows, and to east another window partly covered by a priest’s door with moulded segment-arched opening. Both aisles have coped gables, and at the west ends, 3-light panel tracery windows set in segment-arched recesses. South porch has coped gable with moulded pointed arched double doors, and above them, an empty niche. INTERIOR: has continuous arch braced common rafter roof with wall shafts. Chancel has a segment-arched recess at the east end, with a crenellated band above. Segment-arched door to north, piscina, aumbry, sedilia and door to south. Nave has 5-bay arcades with moulded pointed arches dying into octagonal piers and responds. West end has double doors. Aisles have stained glass west windows, c1897. South aisle has 2 stained glass windows dated 1936 and 1943. Fittings include original oak stalls. Traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit and marble font with spire cover, resited from ademolished church c1890. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 256).

Listing NGR: SK5548941587