For this church:
In May 1921 the PCC discussed erecting a war memorial in addition to a new organ. The suggestion was put forward that it could take the form of a cross or similar symbol in the church garden. These ideas were discussed in the parish, and finally in July 1922 it was decided to drop the idea of a memorial cross in favour of a wooden casing to the proposed new organ. In May 1926 members of the PCC were shown a sketch of an oak case which Comptons were proposing to build, but this was rejected. The PCC did however agree that the names of the parish dead in the Great War should be written on the wooden panels encasing the organ, when made, and that a roll of service should be prepared - to be written into a book and kept in a glass case - because it would give at least 600 to 1,000 people an interest in the church.
In the event Compton’s failed to supply an oak casing in time for the names to be written in, and the vicar recommended a friend of his who agreed to do the work for £33 5s. The panels were ready by September.
The inscription on the centre panel of the memorial reads:
160 names were inscribed.
Below the inscription is a cabinet containing, originally, two Books of Remembrance, under a glass cover, recording the names of St Stephen’s parishioners who served in World War I. The book, cream bound, hard back, in leather with gold embroidery, is of 34 pages and contains 642 names (surnames, initials, regiment). It was designed and illuminated by Carrie V Neal. Those who died, and whose names are therefore recorded on the organ casing, are recorded in red ink. The cabinet also includes ‘Book of Remembrance 1939-1945', leather bound with gold embroidered edging. It contains 34 pages, with 404 entries. All entries are in black with the service title in royal blue. Royal blue crosses to the left of some entries presumably indicate that the individual died in action.
There is also a Roll of Honour on the inside wall near the south porch, originally recording those on active service in the Great War, but subsequently amended to indicate those who died or were killed in action. It includes 341 names in a semblance of alphabetical order and 112 names written in after ‘W’ in no particular order. The names are a mix of the Remembrance Book, and other additions. The wording on the inscription suggests that ht was regarded as a working document: ‘Please remember in prayer the following who are on active service’.
A marble plaque from St Paul’s church rests at the foot of the screen. Names of church members who died in the Great War are inscribed on it.