For this church:
In 1552 the old tower contained three bells but by 1740 Brown Willis in his survey lists four bells for the church. Other sources, however indicate three bells and frames for two others at this time. When Ambler rebuilt the church after the fire in 1907, the three undamaged bells may have been rehung. It was reported that one was dated 1803 and another 1618.
A faculty dated 18 March 1927 gave authority for the repair and retuning of the original three bells, the provision of new headstocks, wheels and bearings, and the addition of two further bells. The recasting of the three old bells and the casting of two new bells was undertaken by John Taylor of Loughborough. The inscriptions on the original three bells were faithfully reproduced.
A faculty dated 21 July 1972 provided for the addition of a new treble bell to the existing peal of five bells. This new treble bell was provided by an anonymous donor and from gifts by parishioners. It also was manufactured by John Taylor of Loughborough. The supporting headstocks were made by Malcolm Martin Engineering of Kirkby-in-Ashfield and the whole installation was completed in 1973. The bell was cast using the metal from two old bells: one was a 3cwt bell which used to hang over the Stockwell Gate entrance of the Co-op store in Mansfield; the other was a smaller bell that had been a sanctus bell at Rawmarsh, near Rotherham (information courtesy of John Harrison).
The pre-2001 frame was a Victorian 5 bell frame, back 3 in parallel pits, with 2 across the end. The treble (of 5) pit had 2 bells on steel girders above it dating from a 1972 augmentation. The previous frame was also a 5 bell frame, as recorded in a 1772 terrier. This later frame was built from designs provided by Taylors.
Peals were rung on the six bells at intervals over the years, until in 2001, two new treble bells were added. At that time the full peal was rehoused by Hayward Mills Associates in a new fabricated steel frame for eight bells in one level and all were rehung with their refurbished fittings. A new floor was provided above the bells to alleviate weathering problems and as part of a sound control system.
The details of the bells are as follows:
Bell No 5
This bell was cast originally by Henry I Oldfield sometime in the period 1540-90 and bore the Royal Heads of Edward III and Queen Phillipa and the letters ascribed to William Rufford, who was a London bell-founder in 1380. The right to use these Royal Heads was probably granted to John Rufford, who had been appointed a Royal Bellfounder in 1367. In the fifteenth century they were found on bells cast at Worcester before finding their way to Nottingham, where, together with the letters, they were used by the Oldfields in casting some of their bells.
Bell No 6
This bell was cast originally in 1618 by Henry II Oldfield, who was master founder from 1590 to 1620. It bore plain capital letters between a cable patterned border and the Oldfield mark.
Bell No 7
This bell was cast by Thomas Mears of Whitechapel: Thomas Wheeldon was a local agent.