Kirkby-in-Ashfield St Wilfrid
Monuments and Memorials
| Photograph of the
brass to Thomas and
taken before the 1907 fire
| The Fitzrandolph
monument in 1773
Many monuments were destroyed by the fire of 16-17 January 1907. A comprehensive list of the monuments in the church and the inscriptions upon them was compiled in 1901 and published in The Genealogist (Rylands, 1907).
The oldest monument in the church before the devastating fire was a small brass within a niche on the south aisle wall. It was in memory of Thomas FitzRandolph of Langton Hall (son of Christopher FitzRandolph, late of Langton Hall) and his wife Katherine, daughter of Geoffrey Foljambe, knight, late of Walton Hall in Derbyshire. Thomas died on 27 February 1598 and his wife on 2 May 1593.
The inscription read:
HIC IACENT CORPORA THOMAE FITZRANDOLF
NVPER DE LANGTON HALL HVIVS PAROCHIAE
GENEROSI ET KATHERINAE VXORIS EIVS QVORV
PATRES FVERE XPOFER FITZRANDOLF NVPER DE
LANGTON PREDICTA ARMIGER ET GODFRDVS
FVLLIAMBE NVPER DE WALTON HALL IN COM
DARBY MILES ANIMAE ILLORVM PETIERE ASTRA
PREDICTA KATHERINAE OBIIT 2O MAII AO DO 1593
ET PREDICT THOMAS 27O DIE FEBRVARII 1598
The monument did not survive the fire.
1A tablet on the north wall of the Chancel has the following inscription:
|TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY
OF THE REVD BROOKE BOOTHBY, M.A.
ONE OF HIS MAJESTY’S JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
FOR THE COUNTY OF NOTTINGHAM
AND NEARLY NINETEEN YEARS
RECTOR OF THIS PARISH
HE DEPARTED THIS LIFE
THE 4TH DAY OF JANUARY 1829
AGED 44 YEARS
IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF THEIR MUCH ESTEEMED
AND TRULY LAMENTED PASTOR
HAVE ERECTED THIS MONUMENT
HOW MUCH THEY REVERED AND ADMIRED HIM
IN HIS PUBLIC STATION, DOMESTIC CIRCLE,
AND FOR HIS INESTIMABLE VIRTUES.
Below the tablet is a smaller plate with the following legend:
|The Epitaph inscribed above is an exact transcript of
one in the nave of the Church destroyed by fire in 1907.
The present tablet was placed in the chancel by
Rev’ Brooke Boothby’s only surviving son C.E.B.
2On the south wall of the chancel, a tablet states:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ALBERT LOUIS SALMOND
LT COLONEL 3RD DERBYSHIRE REGIMENT, YOUNGEST SON OF
THE LATE LT COLONEL JAMES SALMOND OF WATERFOOT,
AND LANGTON HALL IN THIS PARISH, WHO DIED AT
DEELFONTEIN, S. AFRICA AUGUST 4TH 1902 OF WOUNDS
RECEIVED AT BURGHERSDORP ON JANUARY 31ST 1902.
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY HIS SISTERS
JULIA HEBDEN, LOUISA ISABELLA CAMPBELL AND HIS COUSIN MAUD WILLIAMS
St Hilda’s Chapel
On the south wall of St Hilda’s Chapel there are two shield-shaped brass plates. These were both fixed to the floor of the nave when the present church was constructed in 1907. When the chapel was created in 1962, they were moved to the wall.
3The left half of the easternmost one of them reads:
OF M W CLARKE OF
HARDWICKE WHO DYED
IANRY THE 9TH 1736 IN THE 64TH YEAR OF HIS
The right half has never been engraved and remains blank.
4The westernmost reads:
|Here Lieth Interd Elizth the
Wife of Wm Green of Mans-
field and daughter of Wm
Clark of Hardwick who
Departed this Life the
twenty fourth day of May
1731 Aged Nineteen
On the south wall of the nave, between Windows 5 and 6, there are two tablets: an ornate one to Thomas Woodman and a utililitarian one to Dorothy Perry.
5The Woodman tablet reads:
To the Glory of God
and in loving memory of
Revd Thomas Woodman, M.A.
Curate for 10 and Rector for
23 years of this Parish
who faithfully preached the
Glorious Gospel of Christ.
He fell asleep January 15th, 1899
“For ever with the Lord.”
This Memorial is erected by his
family; a former one by the parishioners
having been destroyed by fire.
6The Perry tablet reads:
|IN MEMORY OF
86 YEARS MEMBER OF THIS CHURCH
AND 60 YEARS IN MOTHERS UNION
DIED 25TH AUG.1982.AGE 91.