For this church:
Laneham St Peter
Originally St. Peter’s had three bells.
The bells were replaced in 1812 and cast by James Harrison, founder, of Barton Upon Humber.
Hung in a wooden frame, type V, for 4 bells by Harrison in 1812. The bells were re-hung in by Taylors 1937 and have recently been restored to full working order.
The bells are a complete ring by James III Harrison of Barton, and are most interesting in that they are cast according to Harrison’s theories on the shape of bells, being very short in height compared to their diameter. Consequently they are deep-toned compared to their weight.
Bell Holt field, a piece of common land by the River Trent in Church Laneham, was used to grow osiers and rushes to provide a fund for the ringers and new bell ropes.