For this church:
Laneham St Peter
The churchyard surrounds the church. There is a wall on the West side separating the churchyard from the road. The graveyard is over 3 feet higher than the road, probably due to the number of burials over the centuries. The oldest visible gravestone is dated 1703.
The churchyard is very roughly ‘boat’ shaped, with a tilted ‘flat’ end at the south, tapering to a near point at the north, all with generally rounded corners. This may be an indication of an early date.
A full survey of the tombs was carried out in July 2011 by Notts County Council archaeology department. The survey was conducted by Emily Gillott. The number of tombstones in the graveyard was approximately 350. (There are some tombstones in the church.) A full report of this survey is awaited in 2012.
On the east side the ground slopes away and in the south-east corner it is possible to see the River Trent. In this corner are the tombs of Mr & Mrs Ginniver. He was a mariner and he is buried in sight of the river.
Burial records exist from 1566.