Littleborough St Nicholas


The south side of
the churchyard
The lychgate
Grave marker to
James Cleghorn (1917)
Grave marker to
Samuel Storrs (1843)

The churchyard is small and trapezoidal in shape with the longer side to the east. The total area is 0.12 ha.

The boundaries comprise hedges, shrubs, and trees, except for the south side where there is a brick boundary wall, capped by clay pantiles, and wooden lych gate entrance at the south-east.

There are burials on all sides though the area to the north-east has been cleared of grave markers. Most of the intact grave markers on the south side date from the early to late 19th century.

To the east of the chancel is a Commonwealth War grave to Private James Cleghorn, Yorkshire Regiment, who died of pneumonia 7th March 1917 aged 37. James Cleghorn was the son of Hannah Cleghorn, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and the late Thomas Cleghorn, but his next of kin was listed as his sister, Mrs Alice Barlow of Ivy House, Littleborough.