For this church:
Designed by the prolific Nottingham-based architect Watson Fothergill.
Constructed in a Victorian early-gothic revival style, possible influenced by the work of William Butterfield.
Cruciform in shape, the building had a wide nave to allow a clear view for the congregation of the pulpit and altar, north and south aisles.
Chancel and organ chamber, 1893.
Baptistery and vestries, 1901.
The interior consisted of red and blue bricks used in ornamental patterns.
In the chancel, organ chamber and around the altar a high dado of glazed Minton tiles depicting ecclesiastical symbols, including apostles’ heads in glass mosaic, could be found.
The roof had stencil patterns of sacred monograms and symbolic devices.
Timbers and roofs
Stone double bellcote on gable between nave and chancel. Elphick A type, Pickford Group 9.A. Probably constructed 1884, demolished 1972.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
No known modern archaeological excavation has been undertaken on the site of this church. Prior to the construction of the church this was probably a green field site, under agricultural use, but its earlier archaeology is unknown.
The site of the church has been entirely redeveloped and is now occupied by post-1972 domestic buildings, although the stone wall that fronts onto Woodborough Road appears to be contiguous with the surviving Roman Catholic church next door, and is probably represents the original boundary wall.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology on the former church site and former churchyard, is considered to be LOW comprising mainly destruction layers from the 1879-1901 churches, construction layers of post-1972 buildings, and below this perhaps evidence of previous use of the site, though this is expected to be fragmentary at best. Some stratigraphy relating to the church may survive below domestic gardens and, more particularly, the sloping boundary area between the Catholic church and the former Emmanuel church site where the Parish Rooms formerly stood. There is no evidence that interments ever took place.