South Muskham
St Wilfrid


The churchyard is roughly square in shape with the church heavily offset to the south side; there are burials on all sides. Its loosely defined boundaries imply it may once have been slightly larger in extent.

To the south (from the porch eastwards) the north side and the rear of the church are the earliest gravestones; the more recent burials are forward to the west. The churchyard is bounded on the south, east and west by a stone wall and on the north side by hedges and trees.

The churchyard boundary wall (Grade 2 listed 19 September 1985) is 17th and 18th century, of dressed stone, with gabled coping and flat coping to the north and two 20th century wooden posts and gates. At the entrance to the churchyard are two square stone gate piers with pyramidal caps; two 19th century octagonal cast iron posts with finials, and a pair of wrought iron gates. To the left of the gate in the wall is a stone, now much eroded.

A note in the front of one of the Parish Register Books:

‘On the north side of the churchyard gates upon a stone in the wall is this inscription: ‘Franciscus Oldfield et Henricus Killbuck, Hujus Ecclesiae Guardiani, Hunc diruere Murum et aedificawit, Anno Domini 1698 et 1699’.(Francis Oldfield and Henry Killbuck Guardians of this church have demolished and (re)built the wall in the year of our Lord 1698 and 1699.

This stone, or a stone with this inscription but of a more modern appearance, lies now under the centre of the asphalt in the stable-yard, having been placed there in the time of my predecessors. FWM July (18)98.

This stone was discovered when a portion of the stable yard was taken up, in good preservation, and has been restored to its original position in the churchyard wall. WHW. Vicar Sep. 14 1923’.

Stone coffin

To the east of the south porch is a stone coffin reputedly brought from the old chapel at Little Carlton. (The chapel no longer exists).