For this church:
Stapleford St Helen
Monuments and Memorials
Memorial to William Allsop
Memorials to Joyce and Thomas Gray
A wall monument with two oval panels bearing the inscriptions:
(Note: This inscription must be treated with some caution. Thomas Gray was certainly involved in the running of stage coaches locally but nothing is known, apart from this inscription, of his involvement with Mail Coaches. The first Mail Coach went between Bristol and London in August 1784. The trial run was arranged by a theatre manager from Bath using his own coach and was so successful that the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Pitt, was convinced and within a short space of time a countrywide network was in operation. That man was John Palmer son of a wealthy Bath brewer and theatre owner. The Archives Officer of the British Postal Museum and Archive can find no trace of Mr Gray.)
Memorial to George and Thomas Antill
Memorial to George and Elizabeth Jackson
A wall plaque now partly obscured by the modern tea-making facility:
(The last line of the above translates as: Death will bounteous show)
Memorial to Sir John Borlase Warren and family members
Monumental Tomb to members of the Tevery family
This inscription is in Latin and has lost its white infill and is not very legible in places. A translation is:
STAY & READ
The reward for your delay will be to know who is laid here. A man whose happy birth enabled him, on his own behalf to Increase in virtue; to be, for his progeny, a credit to his family; And for his country, a treasure of public virtue. A judge so wise in his own province, that among the greatest Men of law he was considered as an oracle and patron of what was Fair and just; That among those close to him he seemed the guardian spirit of the poor. A man who most blessedly sought; In his Friendships, trust In his dealings, humanity; In his morals, integrity. Always a generous host, and at the same time a careful father. Gervase Tevery, knight, most noble scion and heir of the Paschals of Stapleford and of the Creveceurs, following his Ancestors both in life (which he left on August 14th A D 1639, In the 65th year of his age) and in death rests peacefully here among the shades of his forebears. To his spirit, and to his worth memory, this monument, unequal as it is to such great virtues, was set up with many tears and dedicated by his sorrowing widow Anna, who, sprang from the ancient stock of the Ashbys of Quenby in Leicestershire, bore him one son and three daughters: John, in the very bud of youth, and Elizabeth in its flower, both taken by fate while yet unripe; Maria, married to Brian Palmes, knight; and Anna, who survives him and is the heiress.
Note: There seem to be at least two translations. This one is not the one on the wall at the side of the tomb. The one above seems to be a freeer, more poetic translation, whilst the one on the wall is more literal.
Written underneath memorial is:
C.TEVERY and Family removed here 1877
Monument with coat of arms.
Inscription in Latin written in Lombardic text. It translates:
Here lies John Teverey, son and heir of Robert Tevery and Katherine Chaworth; one who loved his friends; a friend to the poor; fair, easy of manner, kindly, he added to his family's wealth; he married Anne Crevequer, daughter and heiress of John Crevequer of Twitford; by her he had three children who, on the day he died (for others were previously deceased) were yet living: Gervase, Anna, and Katharine; leaving these children in the year 1580 on the 17th March, his wife left this earth (for the company of the blessed?) and then when he had completed sixty six years of his life and reached the year of grace 1603, he died from disease, an ungentle death.
Memorial to some female members of the Warren family
Memorial to Thomas and Millicent Whiteley
Foot of original chancel steps
Memorial to Robert & Katherine Tevery.
The inscription is too worn to read except for the date 1571. It is in Latin and is recorded by Thoroton.