For this church:
Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.
There is a considerable amount of stained glass in the church dating from the late 14th century to 1914. Much of the old glass is Flemish with some earlier English work. The later Edge family (squires from 1678-1978) believed that Thomas Webb Edge (1756-1819) brought most of the old glass with him from Shirburn in Warwickshire in 1793.
The east window was installed by Burlisson and Grylls in 1914 as a memorial to John Webb Edge, rector from 1819-1842. The Edge family were insistent on keeping the Edge surname and when an Edge female married John Webb from Warwickshire (a future rector) he added the Edge name to his own.
The four light window depicts Christ at Emmaus in the central lights and is flanked by Saints Mary Magdalene in the north light and Thomas in the south. The Emmaus scene depicts Christ seated with his right hand raised in blessing and with a small loaf of bread in his left. A chalice is on the table to his right. Opposite are two figures (Josephus), both seated one with his right hand raised and the other with his hands clasped in prayer. Through and open arched window is a sylvan scene with a mansion on top of a hill in the distance. In the tracery above the figures are four angels each holding a scroll which combined read ‘Rejoice and be exceeding glad for great is your reward in heaven’. Below the Emmaus scene within a scroll is written ‘He was known to them in breaking of the bread’. Above Mary Magdalene is scroll work containing the message ‘Rabboni: which is to say, Master’. The scroll above Saint Thomas carries the words ‘My Lord and My God’.
The window replaces a first memorial window (1842) believed to be of a poor design and which was given to Bilborough church. This has subsequently been lost. There is also a record of Thomas Webb Edge purchasing stained glass 'of various subjects' for the east window from a London warehouse in 1807.
The dedication at the bottom left of the window reads:
At the bottom right of the window is a message:
The north chancel window is partially obscured by the canopy of the medieval tomb of Sir John de Strelley and is of clear glass. However, a patchwork of pieces of old glass, dating from 1570 to the 17th century, hangs in front of it. The largest piece and perhaps the best is a deep rose shaped piece (Perpendicular).
The south chancel window was installed in 1914 by Burlisson and Grylls. It is a four light window depicting, from east to west, the Saints Augustine, Etheldreda, Frideswida and Paul. The figures are posed looking into the middle of the window.
Saints Augustine and Paul are in bishop’s mitre and cope both hold a cross, Augustine in his right and Paul in his left. In the other hand Augustine has an open bible whilst Paul’s is raised in blessing. St. Etheldreda holds a crook in her right hand and a model of Ely Cathedral clasped to her in her right. St. Frideswida holds a bible in her left and clasps a model of Oxford, for which she is the patron saint, in her right.
The inscription across the bottom of each of the window lights reads:
The north transept three light east window shows Christ triumphant flanked by angels in the upper portion and standing over soldiers. The lower portion of the lights depicts three miracles: healing on the Sabbath in the Synagogue; the curing of the Syrophoenician’s daughter and the raising of Lazarus from the dead.
The window is a memorial to Julia Frances Edge, the first wife of James Thomas Edge, who died in 1856, aged 22.
Beneath the window is a brass plaque with the inscription:
The three light east window of the south transept was put in by Thomas Webb Edge. It consists of nine squares/rectangles (six framed), six roundels and three coats of arms set in clear glass in six rows of three each. They date from c1480 to the early 17th century. They are, working from the top to the bottom and north to south:
The arms of Lucy or de Mowbray, c1570
The arms of England, 1570
Battle scene, 1570 in a 17th century frame
The risen Christ, 1600
Arms of Edge-Hurt, 1600
God in Heaven, 1600
Scipio, ‘Fortitudo’, 1573
Arms of Lucy-Knight, 1573
St. Ann, Blessed Virgin Mary and Child, Durer, 16th century
A similar scene dated the late 16th or early 17th century
Christ in the Wilderness, 17th century
Adam naming the beasts, Van de Velde
The Rood, Jacob Hoes, 1661
The Magi? 17th century.
Trinity and Death of Sapphira, Henry VIII
St. Jerome, 16th century
Three carry dates:
A framed rectangle, ‘Fortitudo’ 1573
The Arms of Lucy impaling Knight, 1573
The Rood by Jacob Hoes, 1661
At the top of the tracery is a sun and beneath spanning the two lights is a scroll with the inscription
The left light shows the Madonna and Child and the right the three kings. Beneath, spanning the lights is the inscription:
Across both lights at the bottom of the window is the dedication:
The north east two-light window of the nave consists of nine pieces of stained glass, reset here in 1897, in a clear glass lattice. The glass spans from the 14th to the 16th century and consists of three rectangular patchworks, three coats of arms, two roundels and a rectangle of a saint.
The saint, Ugbertus, set at the top of the east light, may have come from the north window of the chancel and be the oldest piece of stained glass in the church, 14th century. Two coats of arms in the east light, Strelley and Strelley impaling Willoughby, are 14th century. The coat of arms in the west light is that of Lucy of Warwick and dated to 1573. Many of the fragments of glass in the patchwork are 14th century the rest 15th and 16th century.
An inscription along the bottom of the two lights reads:
They depict the martyrdom of St Stephen; the execution of St. Paul and St. Peter’s escape.
They are believed Flemish c1650.
12.The two-light west window of the nave has three coats of arms, two rectangular scenes and a pair of heads set in a clear glass lattice. The arms are those of Poutrell impaling Strelley, Low impaling Strelley and Willoughby all dated to the 15th-16th century. The rectangles depict Jacob meeting Rachel and Jacob watering Laban’s flock which, along with the two heads, are Flemish.
At the bottom of the north light is an inscription that reads:
The south clerestory windows incorporate three shields: the arms of John Strelley’s wife and her two daughters; Isobel, wife of Clement Low, and Margaret, wife of John Powtrell.
The north clerestory windows are of clear glass: the stained glass was removed and placed in other parts of the church, see earlier.
Some glass (of 1842) was discarded by Strelley church and reused in Holme-by-Newark church.