For this church:
Thurgarton St Peter
Features and Fittings
A medieval altar of Ancaster stone which was discovered in the 19th century in a local well and restored to the church; it sits on six 19th century stone pillars. It measures 8ft by 4 ft and bears several consecration crosses and is thought to have been hidden by the canons of the priory at the dissolution.
The Altar Rail is wooden with wrought iron railings carrying the dedication:
Font, Pulpit, Reading Desks, Pews and Choir Stalls
All date from the 1854 restoration and are listed in a church account of that year as costing: font £32, pulpit £60, reading desks £50, pews in aisle £58 16s 8d.
They share a 19th century Gothic style with similar carvings of foliage and repeated trefoil panels which echo details of the surviving medieval carvings.
An octagonal stone font with a wooden lid set on 8 piers and a wide octagonal step base. The leaf carvings are set in trefoil panels.
Stone pulpit a deeply carved front panel of four winged creatures, the symbols of the apostles – eagle, bull, lion and man. Foliage and leaf carvings adorn the other panels.
On the wall behind the pulpit is a wooden crucifix below which is a brass plaque which reads:
Rev Atwell Baylay was a keen historian (vice president of the Thoroton Society ) and an acknowledged expert on liturgy and ancient church music; he translated and edited Batiffol’s Histories of the Roman Mass and the Breviary and was the author of A Century of Collects (Alcuin Club publications)
Two large oak reading desks with heavy foliage carving and trefoil panels.
Pews and Choir stalls
The pews and choir stalls of 1854 have a trio of repeating end panel designs.
Sounding Board – Table
An octagonal sounding board possibly 18th century has been converted into a table, many pieces of inlay are loose.
Said to be the chair used by Bishop George Ridding and is still known as the Bishop’s Chair. The oak panel carvings are thought to be 17th century Flemish in origin which have been incorporated into a chair in the Victorian period. The largest panel depicts the Adoration of the Magi.
Brass lectern with leaf design.
To the right of the altar is a block of triple seats of oak with fine medieval misericord carvings. It probably dates from the 15th century.
An ornately carved stone niche occupies the centre of the east window above the altar. The abundant ‘seaweed’ style of foliage echoes the pulpitum at Southwell Minster and the Easter Sepulchre at Hawton and dates from c1330. Close examination of the niche shows remnants of polychrome with red, blue and gold predominating. The shadowy outline of a veiled figure indicates where the medieval statue once stood beneath the canopy.
In poor condition and stored in the bell ringing chamber is a wooden board which reads: