For this church:
Upton St Peter and St Paul
Monuments and Memorials
In the Chancel
South wall, memorial tablet
To the west of this tablet is a textile painting commemorating the 750th anniversary celebrations of the Church from the year 2000 by Penny Veys, depicting scenes from the pageant and local people in character.
North wall, memorial tablet
Now concealed beneath the carpet in the chancel is a medieval incised cross-slab of round leaf pattern with an eight point cross-head, dating probably from the late 13th or early 14th century. The limited distribution of six and eight point cross-heads possibly points to a local workshop, perhaps based in Mansfield.
In the North Aisle
Just to the east of the door is a plaque recording bequests and above this, another bearing the inscription:
No longer present in the Church
John Throsby, visiting in the 1790s, found the following memorials, which were removed during the 19th century restorations.
'Here are two old stones for the Oglethorps, one of which remembers Mr Martin Oglethorp, citizen of London, and second son of William Oglethorp of this village, gent and of Eleanor his wife who was dau. Of Wm. Oglethorp of Oglethorp in county of York, he died in 1673, aged 59.’
One of these gravestones, originally an altar slab, probably belonging to the chantry chapel, was inscribed:
Another had the epitaph:
Both of these were apparently destroyed during the restoration of the Church.
Throsby also recorded a brass dated 1460, also dedicated to the Oglethorps, inscribed:
Cornelius Brown, writing in 1889, mentioned also a ‘modern mural tablet’ and stated that ‘in the tower is part of a slab to a former rector, c.1486.’