For this church:
Upton St Peter and St Paul
The current organ dates from 1900 and was built by Gray & Davison. It was originally installed in the choir, but this was an unsuitable location – a 1910 article in the Newark Herald wrote that ‘An ungainly new organ in an ugly pitch-pine case sprawls over a large part of the chancel, blocking out of sight quite one-third of the altar space.’
It was moved in the 1940s, and now occupies the space where there was formerly a singing gallery, (which was removed in the 1860s), at the west end of the nave.
A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register website.
The organ was in need of cleaning and restoration in 2013 and there were plans for this to be carried out.
An inscription on the panelling reads as follows: