For this church:
Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.
1The East Window was erected in 1868 in memory of Emma Buswell Truman, who died 17 February 1873 aged 23, the young wife of the vicar, Marcus Truman. The five panels show the life of Christ: the Nativity with the baby Jesus on his mother’s knee; Jesus’ baptism in the Jordan by John the Baptist; the Crucifixion; the Resurrection; and the Ascension.
3The east window in St Katherine’s Chapel depicts Christ the Saviour of mankind. (A scroll above him reads: Jesus hominum Salvator). In the flanking lights are St George and St Michael. In the tracery are shields carrying the IHS and Chi-rho symbols, and a representation of the Holy Spirit as a dove. The glass is Victorian, and there is a possibility that it is the work of Kempe.
The pictured window (No 5 on the key plan) shows St Agatha, St Margaret and St Etheldreda. St Hugh of Lincoln is in the top tracery light, and below him are two angels proclaiming:
(The inscription, from Luke 2.14, translates: Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men of good will).
In the bottom right-hand corner is the inscription:
7The window in the west wall near the font was given by the Bolton family in memory of their 19-year old son Mark, an altar server at St Mary’s. He was killed in a climbing accident in the Alps in 1990 and the design of the window is based on one of his own pictures. The inscription reads simply:
9The window at the back of the north aisle in the west wall was given in memory of Ken Negus, a former churchwarden and Arnold Librarian and local historian. It was originally a window removed from a redundant London church and restored. It depicts Jesus with a female saint playing a lyre (said to be Saint Dorothy, though she is not associated with music).
The inscription at the bottom reads:
A brass plaque below the window reads:
There are four small clerestory windows on each side of the nave. All contain plain glass in diamond quarries.