For this church:
Arnold St Mary
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Vestry 1839. Restored 1868 by Scott and 1877 and 1923. Coursed and squared rubble and dressed stone with gabled and lean-to slate roofs. Chamfered plinths. Chamfered and coved eaves. Coped gables. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, C14 and mid C15, 2 stages, has moulded plinth, string course, eaves band and plain parapet with 4 pinnacles. 4 pairs of corner buttresses, 6 setoffs. First stage has to west moulded doorway with clustered shafts and hood mould. Above, restored triple lancet with geometrical tracery and hood mould. Second stage has to south, carved panel, C13, with figures. West side has square opening. North, south and west sides have each a clock. Each side has, above, a double bell opening with segmental head. Clerestory, C15, restored C19, 4 bays, has crenellated parapet. On each side, 4 Tudor arched double lancets with hood moulds. North aisle, C14, has at west end C14 double lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould. North side has 3 buttresses. To east, 2 C14 triple lancets with intersecting tracery. To west, C14 cove moulded doorway and to west again, similar triple lancet. All openings have hood moulds. South aisle, C14, 4 bays, has at east end, C19 geometrical triple lancet. South side has 3 gabled buttresses and 3 similar triple lancets. West end has similar double lancet. All have hood moulds. Above south porch, C14 niche with nodding ogee head. Lean-to organ chamber, c.1875, has a corner buttress and to north, blocked lancet. Chancel, C14, 2 bays, has to north a gabled buttress. To east, late C14 triple lancet with square headed reveal and hood mould. East end has 2 pairs of gabled corner buttresses and C19 5 light geometrical lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould. Above it, crocketed ogee headed niche. Above again, round window in square panel. South side has a buttress and to east, C14 triple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould. Gabled vestry has to east a gable stack and pointed door. South side has chamfered double lancet with wooden Y tracery. Openings have hood moulds. South porch, 1930, C15 style, has 2 diagonal buttresses, moulded parapet and doorway with round shafts. On each side, a double lancet with hood mould. Nave arcades, early C14, 5 bays, with additional half bay to west, have each 4 octagonal piers with square plinths, moulded bases and capitals. Arches double chamfered and rebated with hood moulds and mask stops. 7 C14 moulded corbels. C19 strutted principal rafter roof. Tower arch, C13, cove moulded and rebated, with C20 glazed screen. Tower chamber has stained glass window, Cl9. North aisle east end has restored C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South aisle east end has memorial stained glass, 1898. To left, opening to rood stair. South side has to east ogee headed C14 piscina and 2 stained glass memorial windows, 1893, by Kempe, and 1909. Moulded chancel arch, C14, has half-round responds and canopied, traceried screen, 1924. North side has to west, arch to organ chamber and above it, remains of C14 lancet with reticulated tracery. To east C14 tomb recess. To its right, tall C14 Easter Sepulchre with ogee headed blind arcade and niches. Moulded surround. East end has sill band and stained glass window, 1873, flanked by single C14 mask brackets. C20 panelled reredos, 1924. South side has to east, C14 double piscina with Decorated traceried head. To its right, C14 ogee headed triple sedilia. To right again, stained glass window, 1909. Fittings include late Cl9 octagonal ashlar pulpit and font. Carved stalls and desks, 1924. Benches and lectern, late C19. Memorials include corniced marble wall tablet, 1769. 2 marble and slate tablets, Cl9. Framed war memorial panel, c.1920.
Boundary wall. 1841. Coursed and squared rubble with ramped shaped coping. Datestone to south east inscribed '1841'. Approx. 120M long. Included for group value only.