Colwick St John the Baptist
Features and Fittings
| Remnant of the
reredos from the
It is believed that the altar, choir stalls and a three-tiered pulpit that
were originally in the church, had been relocated from the old
altar had been modernised and a reredos had been made to match the altar and
had been given by churchwardens R Triffitt and R Stevenson.
All these items were found to have woodworm at some time and were destroyed.
The only item remaining from this set of fittings is a small wooden section
of the reredos now in the form of a plaque on the south wall.
Altar and altar rails
altar and altar rails
top of the altar
with engraved crosses
(with thanks to
Wooden frame incorporating original
stone altar slab with five Maltese crosses
from the old church.
by Jonathan Hemingway.
The altar rails came from St Mark’s
Nottingham and are of wrought iron topped by an oak rail.
| Eagle lectern
|| Wooden lectern
Brass eagle lectern given by his children in memory of Sir Ernest Jardine,
Bart, JP, d26 April 1947.
Also a plain wooden lectern given in memory of Clara Cutts 1902-1997.
Originally in Christ Church, Radford.
Oak, given by Miss Alice Webb in memory of her sister.
A small plaque on the table reads:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF ELIZABETH WILKINS
ST JOHN’S CHURCH, COLWICK,
16TH JANUARY 1950, AGE 80 YEARS.
GIVEN BY HER SISTER ALICE.
Johnson memorial cross. This once stood on the altar; it is now on the west
Figure of Christ
Painted metal figure above the altar.
statue of Virgin and Child
This was introduced to the church in 1961. A plaque on the wooden stand reads:
GIVEN IN MEMORY OF
CLARA JANE HANDLEY
CYRIL RUPERT HANDLEY
REQUIESCANT IN PACE
|| Font bowl
This came from St Mark’s Church, Nottingham.
It had originally been
located on the south side of the entrance door, but was removed to the north
side when the extension was built in 1977.
Altar frontal chest
Wooden. A plaque records:
In Loving memory of ELIZABETH LOUIE SMITH
and her son SIDNEY HUGH WYNN SMITH both of
Colwick House, Old Colwick, Nottingham, died 1964.
Also of HERBERT WILLIAM SMITH husband of the
above ELIZABETH LOUIE, died 1939.
The donation was made by the children of William and Elizabeth Smith – Miss
Mary Smith and Mrs Keith Ford.
Wooden bible rest with an inscription that reads:
IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM HENRY STEVENSON
DIED 16 OCTOBER 1947
THE GIFT OF HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS
The Foundation Stone is now mounted on the west wall. It reads:
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST
CHURCH, COLWICK VALE.
THIS FOUNDATION STONE
WAS LAID ON SUNDAY
FEBRUARY 26TH 1950 BY
THE RT.REVD.F.R.BARRY D.S.O. D.D.
LORD BISHOP OF SOUTHWELL.
|RECTOR OF COLWICK
Church consecration plaque
This is on the north wall. It reads:
THIS CHURCH OF ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST, COLWICK
ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND CONSECRATED, JUNE 17TH. 1951
DR.F.R.BARRY, LORD BISHOP OF SOUTHWELL.
New roof dedication plaque
This is on
the south wall, and reads:
WITH THANKSGIVING TO ALMIGHTY GOD
THE NEW ROOF WAS DEDICATED BY
LORD BISHOP OF SOUTHWELL
ON OCTOBER 13TH 1985.
CHURCHWARDENS: NOËL WOODWARD, PATRICIA BIRD
Opening of the extension plaque
This is located in the vestibule. It reads:
THE CHURCH EXTENSION WAS DEDICATED BY
RT. REV. J. DENIS WAKELING
ON SUNDAY MAY 22ND 1977
|K. D. WILLIAMS
|R. K. BROWN
|REV C. GALE
||PRIEST IN CHARGE
Carved wooden plaque above the entrance door. It reads: