Monuments and Memorials
Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.
Key to Monuments
1A Brass for Thomas Huskinson (d1887) and Mary Lambe Huskinson (d1893).
2A slate panel noting that Baptistry was restored in memory of Frederick Harry Sketchley (d1974).
3A brass noting that the Church of the Holy Cross was refurbished in 2009 in memory of Beryl Timmermans, 1935-2008.
4A brass tablet erected by Sir Francis Ley of Epperstone Manor in memory of George Phillips Ley (d1886), Sarah Ley (d1883) and his first wife Georgina Townsend Ley (d1886) all buried at Barrow in Trent, Derby.
5A brass plate commemorating Frederick Litchfield Ward (d1901)
6A stone tablet for Miss Sidney Jenour (d1825)
7A brass for Maurice Aden Ley, 2nd Lt, The Buffs, died at Ypres 1914
8A stone tablet for the Rev Thomas White, Rector (d1848)
9A brass for Sir Francis Ley (d1916)
10Slate panel for Robert Squire, Rector of the church from 1676 until his death in 1701.
11Below the monument to Robert Squire is a small brass plaque indicating that the east window was restored in 2009 in memory of Arthur Kershaw Holt, David and Vi Rushworth and Charlotte Rose Tarling.
12A large dark stone plaque bearing a Latin inscription stating it to be in memory of Christopher Raliegh [sic] Seton, who was Rector for 43 years and died in 1748.
13Another dark stone plaque bearing a Latin inscription. This one is in script style, and is very hard to decipher, except for the initials “MS” flanking the coat of arms at the top.
14Below Monument 13 is a small wooden plaque noting that the choir stalls are in memory of George Thomas McLean, twice Rector of the parish, and his wife Dorothy Jeanie Dunbar.
Below the east window of the south aisle is a stone effigy of the 14th, or possibly late 13th, century. Most of the detail of this is lost and it is not known whom it represents.
In the floor of the south aisle, chancel and near the door are the heads of three 13th century floriated crosses. The crosses moline may relate to the Sampson family who held the Manor from 1100 to 1312 and have these as their arms.