For this church:
Sneinton St Stephen
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. Tower and part of south transept 1837-39 by Rickman & Hussey. Remainder 1909-12, by CG Hare of Bodley & Hare. Coursed square stone with ashlar dressings and concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel and vestry, nave, aisles, transepts and crossing tower. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, plain parapets, coped gables. Pointed arched windows, mostly 2 lights, with simple tracery. Chancel, 3 bays, has blank east end with central buttress. Vestry, to south, has a flat-headed window, 3 lights, and east door. Similar north vestry has 2 smaller windows.Nave, 4 bays, has 3 pairs of slit lights to the clerestory. West end has a large 4-light window. North aisle has 4 windows, and door in east bay. South aisle has 3 windows. The windows have linked hood moulds. Both aisles have at the west end a pointed arched double door with hood mould and a 2-light mullioned window above. Transepts have 2 windows in the gable, flanking a buttress. To south-west, a single bay projection with one window. Square tower, 2 stages, has shallow clasping buttresses. Lower stage has a roundel each side, with clock faces to north and west. Bell stage has pointed arched double openings flanked by narrower blanks.INTERIOR: chancel ashlar, remainder rendered. Chancel has low-pitched panelled ceiling with bosses. Door on north side. Crossing has single bay vault with moulded ribs. Pointed arched openings, with traceried wooden screen and organ case to south. Nave has arcades, 4 bays, with moulded piers and arches without capitals. Wooden barrel vault with moulded ribs. Plain west window. Aisles have exposed ashlar and above, concrete transverse arches. Pointed arched and doors at west ends. North aisle has two stained glass windows, late C19. South aisle has stained glass window, 1917. North transept (St George’s Chapel) has cross beam ceiling and panelling, 1931. South transept has a rendered vault, and stained glass window, 1938. To east, a double archway to the Lady Chapel, with chamfered pier. Lady Chapel has cross beam ceiling, panelled wainscotting, and stained glass windows late C19 and 1944. Fittings mainly by CG Hare include elaborate wooden reredos inGerman C15 style, panelled reredos with niche and figure in north chapel, 3-tower organ case, and octagonal font with spire cover. Return stalls, late C15, with misericords, removed from St Mary’s church, Nottingham, 1848. Brass eagle lectern, 1883. Memorials include triptych war memorial by Hare, 1927. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 250; Sneinton Parish Church History: Truman N: Gloucester: 1946- ).
War memorial. Dated 1920. Large wooden crucifix with bronze figure, under a gable with inscribed bargeboards and slate roof. Square ashlar pedestal with recessed panels. Cruciform ashlar base, 2 steps, with moulded edges. Bronze inscribed tablets.