For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
See locations on sketch plan.
Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.
On the north wall of the chancel, above the door to the vestry, is a memorial to William Rawlins. The memorial is in white marble, a rectangular shape with a heraldic device at the top. This shows three swords in a shield, a helmet and a crest. The white marble is mounted on a black slab.
The inscription is as follows:
Just above the door to the vestry, on the north wall of the chancel, is a small, rectangular, marble or alabaster memorial to Wilfrid Roberts Powell. It measures approximately 35 cm by 70 cm and has the following inscription:
On the north wall of the chancel, to the side of the door into the vestry, is a memorial to Reverend Tufnell Samuel Barrett. According to an article of 1904 it was previously on the south wall of the chancel. It is a rectangular black slab with a pointed arched top measuring 79 cm wide and 74 cm high at the highest point, and with the maker’s name, 'JACKSON, NOTTM' at the bottom. On this is mounted a white marble slab with an arched top decorated with geometric shapes around the edge. There is an 'I H S' symbol at the top, and the following inscription:
On the north wall of the chancel at the side of the door to the vestry is a small brass plaque measuring 61cms by 36cms which is in memory of George Edward Eaton. The plaque is plain with a simple chevron design border. The inscription says:
Some time after 1904, the imposing memorial to Francis Molyneux was moved from the south wall of the chancel to the north. It measures approximately 4 m tall and 1.75 m across. The central feature is a white marble or alabaster figure of a man’s head and shoulders with the rest of the torso swathed in folds of drapery, which is set in an oval of dull black stone, possibly slate. On each side of the man are white marble panels bearing three shields painted with coats of arms, with carved patterns between. Outside these are black columns with Corinthian capitals in white.
Above the man is a large shield painted with a coat of arms and with a cornucopia on each side. Above this is a carved coronet with a peacock feather crest. There are smaller shields with different patterns and different crests above each of the black columns.
Below the figure of the man is a white marble plaque with an inscription in black. The white marble is surrounded by the cream coloured stone carved into sumptuous draped fabric, and there is a skull in the centre at the bottom of the memorial.
The inscription reads as follows:
On the north wall of the chancel is another impressive Molyneux memorial, over 3 m tall and approximately 2 m wide.
According to Pevsner, ‘the most ambitious of the monuments are those to Sir John Molyneux and his wife, excellent workmanship in the cartouches and the two busts in niches; broken pediment, curved upwards’. Sir John and his wife are interred in the chancel of the church rather than in the family vault.
The central features are two carved busts, of a man and a woman, made of alabaster, and each one in an arched niche with a black background. Between the arches of the niches is a carved cherub’s head and wings. Over the top is a scroll shaped broken pediment, and between the scrolls is an urn topped by a flame. Above the pediment on its left is a carved hand holding a red cloth or feather and on the right is a coronet with a peacock feather plume (similar to the one on the Francis Molyneux memorial).
To either side of the busts are black columns, and outside these the stone has been carved into drapery with flowers and foliage below.
Below the busts is a black plaque with gold lettering set in more carved alabaster. Above the plaque is carved the head of an animal, possibly a dog, and around the rest of it are scrolls and swags of flowers. The inscription says:
Below the inscription, each column ends in a scroll with a small painted shield with a coat of arms. The lowest central section is a large shield and coat of arms surrounded by carved foliage and drapery and in the centre a skull.
On the south wall of the chancel, very near the altar, is the memorial to Francis and Diana Molyneux, both of whom are interred in the family vault in the south aisle. The memorial is about 3 m tall and about 1.5 m wide. The central features are white marble busts of Sir Francis and Lady Diana mounted on stands on a large marble table of a darker colour. The back of the memorial is a grey marble and the surround is white marble carved into an arch above the busts and scrolls and foliage down the sides. Beneath the table on which the busts stand is a shield painted with a coat of arms with a shell above it and flowers and foliage around it.
All of the above is mounted on a shelf of white marble supported on two marble scrolls decorated with carved foliage. Between the scrolls is the white marble plaque in a grey marble surround which bears the following inscription:
The hatchments of both Sir Francis and Lady Diana are displayed in the nave of Teversal Church.
On the south wall of the chancel, above the priest’s door, is a memorial to Sir Francis Molyneux. It is a plain grey marble slab of rectangular shape with an arched top, approximately 118 cm across and about 2 m high at the tallest point. The maker’s name is carved into it; J. KENDRICK, SCULPT, LONDON.
The details of the memorial are of white marble mounted onto the grey. The central feature is a man in profile wearing a wig and coat, set in an oval around which are the words 'HONI . SOIT . QUI . MAL . Y . PENSE.' The words are on a carved belt with the buckle at the bottom of the oval. Above the man’s profile is a shield with a design the same as that in the squire’s pew, ie a cross with decorated ends and a red hand in the top left corner. Above the shield is a coronet with a feather plume, similar to those on the other Molyneux memorials. There is a decorative band of carving either side of the profile, and below is the following inscription:
In the south aisle, behind the squire’s pew, are two 16th century alabaster grave slabs. One shows the figure of a man in a long, fur-edged robe. The other shows an ornate cross (see 'Medieval Cross Slabs' in the Archaeology section for further details). Both slabs have Latin inscriptions around the edge. In the adjoining wall, below the window, are two panels in a similar material, one showing a shield and the other carrying a banner with an inscription in Latin.
These slabs commemorate Roger Greenhalgh and his wife Anne. They had lived at Teversal Manor and were great benefactors to the church, as demonstrated by Roger’s gift of a bell in 1554. Anne Greenhalgh was the daughter of Thomas and Editha Babington of Dethick in Derbyshire, and she died in 1538. Roger made his will on 2 December 1562. His grave slab shows ‘his "pourtraiture," scored and filled with lead, and on the side three hunter's horns, stringed upon a Bend engrailed, quartering Barry, all which impales Babington.’ It was through the marriage of Roger Greenhalgh’s granddaughter Elizabeth that Teversal passed to the Molyneux family.
There is no inscription.
Next to the Gwendolen Ondine Herbert memorial in the south aisle is a brass plaque measuring 59 cm by 32 cm with the following inscription:
On the wall in the south aisle, near the font, is a grey and white marble monument to Gwendolen Ondine Herbert. The memorial is a grey marble rectangle which measures 81.5 cm across and 136 cm tall, and it has white marble details added. In the centre is the head of a young woman, with columns and scrolls on either side and a carved pattern above. At the top is a broken pediment with a coat of arms in a black surround in the centre. The arms show three lions rampant on a background which is blue on the left side and red on the right. The first inscription is immediately below the head. Below this is the head and wings of a cherub and a foliage pattern, and a further inscription. All lettering is in gold. The inscriptions are as follows:
On the north wall of the church between two windows is a memorial to Richard Randall Rawlins. It is a polished black slab with a brass cross set into it. The slab is approximately 160cm high, 76 cm wide and 4 cm thick. The material appears to be marble, but an article in the Transactions of the Thoroton Society (1904) says it is slate. The cross is decorated with flowers and at the end of each arm is a picture representing one of the Gospel writers. At the top is a winged nimbed eagle and the words St Johannes. To the right is a winged nimbed bull and the words St Lucas. At the bottom is a winged nimbed lion and the words St Marcus. On the left is an angel and the words St Mattheus. Each image is on a blue background. In the centre of the cross is an image of a lamb with a halo carrying a banner, and this image is on a red background.
Below the image of the lamb is the following inscription:
(The * represents small flower shapes on the memorial.)