For this church:
Trowell St Helen
Features and Fittings
There is an 1890 Carved Oak reredos with archways each side for access to the rear (originally used for the priest to robe up behind). A stone front piece has a shelf on which are two wooden candlesticks and a wooden cross. Behind the reredos two blackened iron candlesticks with branches for 7 candles are stored and used at festivals.
The oak altar table has been brought forward to give access to the rear.
Piscina, Aumbry and Sedilia
On the South side of the altar are the mediaeval piscina and ambry. To the west are the three sedilia, which are all the same size. As the floor has been raised, the seats are now only about a foot above it.
There are two fixed choir pews in oak on the north and south sides, with a vicar’s stall on the south side and an assistant’s on the north side.
The 1890 Chancel Screen, which is again carved oak, has a large cross over the centre.
The 1890 oak pulpit stands on a raised stone base against the north side of the chancel arch.
The pulpit light was given as a memorial, and a brass plate in the pulpit reads:
The centre of the nave contains 7 oak pews on each side; the north aisle has 8 and the south aisle 6. There are 19 wooden folding chairs. All the floors in the pew areas are stone and wooden blocks. The two wardens’ staffs are held in brackets fixed to pews, one each side of the centre aisle.
The large C15 stone font for immersing is carved with quatrefoils and battlements. It did have a lock down cover, but the present one just drops on. This stands in the centre of the front of the vestry.
There are two lecterns. On the small one is a brass plate bearing the inscription:
The larger bears the inscription:
There is a brass plate above the bookcase to the left of the vestry bearing the words:
Note: The same amount was left to the Minister of Ilkeston for a similar purpose.