Trowell St Helen


One of the clock faces The clock mechanism

The clock at St Helen’s, Trowell was transferred from the Old Nottingham Exchange Building in 1927. There has been some confusion about this clock in that many people believed it was the clock made by James Wooley, Derbyshire in 1726. However, that clock was moved to St Nicholas’ Church, Nottingham. The clock at Trowell was the third one made for the Old Exchange in 1881 by G & F Cope of Nottingham.

The clock is a Turret Clock and a description of one was given in the quotation for the second clock made by Messrs Whitehurst and Son of Derby in 1829 for the Exchange:

“A new eight day clock, of magnitude and power calculated to strike the hours upon a bell from 6cwt to 10cwt and show the hours and minutes upon the present dial. Made of the best materials and workmanship, wheels of brass, the pinions and pallets hardened and to be made to go during the time of winding up with Weights, Ropes and Pullies”

At Trowell the clock works are fixed on the east wall, with a clock face on that wall and another on the north wall. Gearing connects the clock itself to the face on the north wall, operating the hands. The striking hammer works on the tenor bell.

The weights of this clock had to be pulled up twice a week. This was carried out until 1970, when the Parish Council paid for an overhaul and fitting an electric winding motor at a cost of £500. It had been overhauled in 1956 at a cost of £100. The clock is now maintained by John Smith & Sons.