For this church:
Wollaton St Leonard
There is little evidence of a clock in earlier times other than a reference in 1892: 'the old clock, which was of great age, was entirely worn out and worthless as a timepiece'. In that year a new illuminated turret striking clock was started on 28 November by Lady Middleton. It had been ordered from the Leeds firm of W Potts and Sons to the designs and plans of Lord Grimthorpe, who was responsible for Big Ben. The cost was covered by public subscription.
This clock is the existing one, though it was repaired in 1942 and, most recently, in 1991 when the mechanism was replaced and sent to Leeds Industrial Museum.