For this church:
The patchwork of stone of various dates from a variety of sources gives a clear impression of the building's growth. Its origins around eight centuries ago, the gradual completion of the medieval structure by the 15th century, the expansion required by successive rises in the local population and the need for ongoing restoration and maintenance, are all reflected in the fabric seen today.
There has, however, been a predominant use of sandstone over the centuries, from varying sources. The coal-measures sandstone of the earlier parts make the quarries of Trowell Moor a likely source for the medieval builders. It is relatively soft and has weathered over the years around the base of the tower and elsewhere. The south aisle, added in 1885, appears to be constructed of a harder stone.
Internally the church walls are plastered throughout and there is no visible evidence of stonework apart from the door and window facings and the piers and arcades. The floors are flagged in most areas, though in places disguised by wood blocks.