For this church:
Wollaton St Leonard
The organ is a 'Father' Henry Willis, built and installed new in 1881 at a cost of £270. It stood at the back of the nave. Five years later it was moved to the front of the north aisle in a major refurbishment programme. The organ was overhauled in 1906 and remained in the north aisle until 1969 when the church was again re-ordered. It was once more placed in the nave, cantilevered above the west door. A two-manual detached console was placed in the south aisle of the chancel, linked to the original sound-boards by electric action. In 1994 the console was again moved to the east end of the south aisle.
In the refurbishment of 1969, the pipes of the Swell reed, labelled 'Hautboy' meaning 'Oboe', were opened up to make the sound louder and broader, to the degree of sounding similar to a small Cornopean rather than the traditional Oboe. It delivered neither. There was some slight redistribution of ranks and additional octave couplers were added to extend the use of the instrument.
Specification (as at 2012)
The instrument was becoming increasingly unreliable and it was rebuilt and enhanced by Henry Groves of Nottingham in 2012, when all the original pipes were retained and reused, and a new Trumpet stop added.
The former Great Dulciana has been moved to a separate and moveable Choir division also containing a Stopped Diapason rank (both with extensions), standing by the refurbished three-manual console (formerly in St. Peter's Church, Nottingham) on a moveable platform in the south aisle.
The case and platform at the west end of the nave have also been enhanced to match the earlier design of the casework.