For this church:
Wysall Holy Trinity
Monuments and Memorials
This outstanding alabaster tomb is situated in the north-east corner of the sanctuary. Standish (1902) provides a full description of the monument:
'... the north-east angle of the chancel is occupied by the alabaster monument of Hugh Armstrong and Mary his wife. He lies with his head on a helmet, carrying the Armstrong crest, a dexter hand, vambraced in armour, bearing a dagger; and with his feet on a dog. The dagger has been broken off. He wears armour, has a ruff and a double chain, which hangs round his shoulders and across his breast, and holds a small book in his clasped hands, on the first and third fingers of each of which are rings. The ring on the digit finger of the right hand bears the initials "H.A." The lady wears a head dress and a long gown. Round the upper edge of one end and one side of the monument, you will find inscribed in most beautiful old English black letter, the following:—
The parts within brackets are now obliterated. The following description deals with the more salient characteristics of the monument, together with a few details of special interest.
The side of the monument is divided into three compartments. The central one contains a shield bearing the Armstrong arms, impaling Sacheverell within a circular ribbon, bearing the inscription: "Hughe armestronge esquire, Marye his wyfe daghter of henrie Sacheverell of ratcliff upon sore esquire."
The dexter compartment contains two female figures, each wearing a cap and long gown, which is open and displays an embroidered bodice. Each figure holds a pair of gloves in one hand and a shield in the right. The shield to the left is Raynes impaling Armstrong, and the one to the right Fitzherbert impaling Armstrong.
The sinister compartment contains a similar figure holding a shield bearing the arms of Turville impaling Armstrong, and another female figure with her hands held together in front of her breast in the attitude of prayer.
At the end of the monument are shields bearing Sacheverell and Armstrong respectively, and three figures. The figure to the left is similar to the last figure. The central figure is that Gabriel Armstrong (1631), who is represented in armour, with a long sword and holding a shield bearing Armstrong impaling blank. The figure to the right hand is that of an infant, probably born about 1540, clad in a long outer robe which is turned up and bound with tapes and covers both head and body; and also covering the head and neck an inner garment which may be the chrisom, a white vesture, placed by the priest on the child at its baptism ; and in which the child was also buried, if the mother was not churched before her infant died.'
The monument is one of the most beautiful and perfect. There is a tradition that it was removed from Thorpe in the Glebe, but this probably originated in the fact that some of the Armstrongs died at that place, one of which was the Chief Holder of the Lordship of Thorpe.
Other Members of the Armstrong Family
Thoroton also describes further monuments which no longer exist:
Hic jacent Johannes Armstrong, Gen. & Johanna, ux. 3. ejusdem, Johannis; qui quidem Johannes obiit 4 die mensis Julii, Anno Dom. 1485. & prædicta Johanna ob. In festo decollationis St. Johannis Baptistæ, Anno Dom. 1483.
Upon the Tomb is Arg. Two Bars Azure, the uppermost charged with two Cinquefoyles, the other with one Or, Teverey.
Hic jacent Thom. Armstrong, Ar. Fil. Johannis Armstrong, de Wysowe; qui quidem Thom. ob. 1 die Januarii, Anno Dom. 1513.
Hic jacet Philippa Armstrong, ux. Tho. Armstrong. fil. Ric Villers.
The Parish registers contain reference to the death and burial of three others of the Armstrong family:
Gabriel Armstrong of Rempton who was buried in the chancel on 23rd April, 1638, his namesake (probably son) buried on 11th August, 1684 and Elizabeth, his widow, buried on 8th June, 1672.
In the Window, Arg. On a bend Azure, three Flowers de Lis, Arg. Poutrell of Wysall
George Widmerpole Monument
The Widmerpools were at one period owners of considerable property in Wysall. In the mural paintings discovered by the Rev John Parker in removing the south wall of the church in 1872, memorials of William Widmerpool, Gent with others of the same family were discovered and great pains were taken to preserve the long hidden inscriptions. Unfortunately, these efforts failed. There is, however, this memorial to George Widmerpool who was born in 1605 and christened in the church at Wysall. The Parish Records contain reference to another George Widmerpool who died in 1628, but no further details have been discovered for this member of the family.
Sergeant-Pilot Elding of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve died when his Liberator aircraft crashed in Newfoundland on 9 February 1943. The Eldings had farmed Glebe Farm in Wysall before the war.