For this church:
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1868. Designed by S. S. Teulon and paid for by the 10th Duke of St. Albans. Rockfaced and plain ashlar with gabled, hipped and conical slate roofs. C13 French Gothic style. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth and moulded sill band. Windows are chamfered lancets with polychrome heads. West porch, nave and apsidal chancel under continuous roof, pulpit turret, south porch. West end has central porch with coped gable with cross and slab roof. Moulded pointed opening with round shafts. Interior has stone seat and 3 bay arcade with central memorial panel to Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, c.1873. Flanked by single lancets. Vaulted roof. Beyond, single lancets. Above, central round window, and above it, a trefoil. Above again, west gable has shouldered gabled bell turret with cross. Nave, 4 bays, has on each side 2 paired lancets flanked by single lancets. South side has, to east, 2 buttresses. Chancel apse has 5 lancets and finial cross. Vestry west gable has pointed door. To east, double shouldered lancet. To west, pulpit turret with 3 lancets and conical roof. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and chamfered doorway. Coped gable with dove in roundel. On each side, 2 lancets. Interior has common rafter roof and chamfered doorway. Aisleless nave has painted dado and window heads. Scissor braced matchboarded roof. West end has central recess with 2 memorial windows. Above, marble portrait plaque and memorial window, all to Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, 1873. The plaque is by H.R.H. Princess Louise. Chancel has arch on foliate corbels. Arched organ opening to left. Blind arcaded dado, 1898, and moulded sill band. Ribbed domed apse. Stencilled decoration throughout. 5 stained glass memorial windows to designs by Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, 1870, executed by Morris & Co., 1911. Fittings include octagonal ashlar font, pierced matching pulpit and cross frame benches. Pierced stalls and desks. Memorial lectern, 1885. Memorials include brass and tile, C19. Bordered bronze War Memorial plaque, 1918. C20 brass and wooden panel.
Lych gate. Mid C19. Ashlar and timber with plain tile roof. 2 ashlar flanking walls have chamfered copings. 2 moulded posts with double arch braces. King post roof with purlins and collars. Pair of elaborate wooden gates with crenellated posts.