For this church:
East Bridgford St Peter
The churchyard falls naturally into two parts. To the north it is a long wedge shape, falling steeply downhill beside Trent Lane. To the south it is rectangular with a main axis east to west, with a lychgate erected by Arthur Richardson JP in March 1936 in memory of his wife and mother.
In the 1960s the sunken centre of the south side was levelled and the scattered gravestones reset in rows. There are plentiful trees, particularly to the north.
The gravestones to the north are of mixed stone, predominantly lancet, round headed or cross shaped. The most recent are square headed and sited at the lower north end. To the south there is a good collection of Swithland slate gravestones. With good incised lettering by local masons, they are typical of churchyards in the Vale of Belvoir. The Swithland quarry near Loughborough is now closed.
In the southern part of the churchyard are three chest tombs with very badly eroded inset panels.
The oldest gravestone, dated 1722, is found against one of the chest tombs.
Volume XII The Nottinghamshire Family History Society’s Record Series, lists most of the headstones, and the Rectory and Bingham Library hold copies.
A copy of the parish burial register 1557-1812 made by the Revd Arthur du Boulay Hill, is kept at the Rectory.