East Bridgford St Peter

Official Listing Description

SK 6943





(north west side)

Church of St. Peter

Grade I

Parish church. C11, C14, C15, C16, C18, C19. Restored 1671 and 1686. Tower rebuilt 1778 by Francis Moore. Chancel windows renewed 1862. Organ chamber and Lady Chapel rebuilt 1862. Restored 1901, 1903 and 1914 by C. E. Ponting. Ashlar, dressed stone, brick and coursed rubble. Ashlar dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs. Stepped and chamfered plinths. Moulded parapets. Shouldered coped gables with crosses. Chancel south side has wavy corbel table. Gargoyles early C20. Several gadrooned rainwater heads. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber. Lady Chapel, chancel, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, eaves band, crenellated parapet. 4 pinnacles with wind vanes bearing Arms. South east side has buttress engaged with south aisle. First stage has to south, C16 cusped head casement. Above, tablet inscribed “..Tower was rebuilt and ... roof renewed ... in the year of our Lord 1778. Moore Archt.” West side has moulded door, C16, with over light. North side has C16 lancet, and late C20 flat roofed addition in return angle. Second stage has to south, clock, 1887. To west, casement with segmental head. Third stage has 4 re-used C16 double lancets. Nave clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has moulded eaves and 3 gargoyles each side. Each side has 3 triple lancets with depressed ogee heads, Decorated tracery, hood moulds and stops. North aisle, C14 and C15, 4 bays, has 3 buttresses, 2 setoffs. Moulded eaves band with gargoyles. West end has restored C15 double lancet with cusped heads, Decorated tracery and hood mould. North side has to west, chamfered C13 doorway with hood mould and 3 C18 leaded casements with segmental heads. South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has moulded eaves band with gargoyles, and buttress, 2 setoffs. South side has to west, late C15 cusped double lancet with hood mould. To east, C19 Decorated style double lancet with ogee heads and hood mould. Organ chamber has a diagonal buttress. North gable has pointed door, with hood mould and stops. To its right, ogee headed double lancet. Above, a smaller lancet. East side has an ogee headed lancet. Lady Chapel has to east, a pair of corner buttresses and to west, a single buttress. East side has a Perpendicular style double lancet with hood mould. Above, a gargoyle. South gable has Perpendicular style triple lancet with hood mould. Chancel, early C13, 3 bays, has on north side, 3 string courses and buttress, 4 setoffs, in western return angle. To left, plaque inscribed “H * S 1671". To right, chamfered lancet, C13, with remains of hood mould. East end has 2 pairs of different flanking buttresses, those to left with a pair of re-set stops. 5 light lancet, late C14 style, with hood mould and mask stops. South side has central buttress with patterned tablet. To its left, restored C14 priest’s door with roll moulding, and C19 Decorated double lancet. To its right, 2 similar C19 lancets, all with hood moulds. South porch has pair of’ diagonal buttresses and C14 moulded doorway with filleted responds and hood mould. Above, niche with figure, 1906. Interior has 2 stone benches and C14 roof with moulded purlins. C14 inner doorway has cove and roll moulding and billeted imposts. C19 door with latch dated 1662. Nave arcades, C14, 4 bays, have each 3 octagonal piers and responds, with octagonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Low pitched roof with arch braces, angel corbels and carved bosses, 1914. West end has C19 doorway with hood mould. North aisle has off-centre C14 roll moulded tomb recess with armorial tablet and mutilated figure of Sir John Babington, 1409. East end has blocked window and C20 brass aumbry. South aisle has on both sides 3 windows with stained glass, 1914 and 1927. Both aisles have lean-to roofs with shield corbels, 1914. Lady Chapel has to east, window with stained glass, 1914. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal imposts and capitals. Chancel has bolection moulded sill band. North side has to left, chamfered opening to organ chamber. To its right, stained glass shield in window. East window has splayed reveal with quoins and gabled head. South side has to east, C14 piscina and triple sedilia with ogee heads, removed 1686 and replaced 1903. 2 windows with stained glass 1911 and c.1920. Elaborate principal rafter roof with wind and arch braces, 1903. Fittings include C13 stoup on clustered shaft. Font, 1662, with Gothic panelled octagonal stem and splayed bowl with strapwork. Panelled oak pulpit with Classical decoration, 1778, restored 1907. 2 fragments of Anglo-Saxon cross with strapwork. Brass eagle lectern, late C19. Bells 1631, 1649, 1778, 1779 and 2 C19. Moulded softwood benches with shaped ends, 1862. Panelled choir stalls and desks, 1903. Carved, panelled oak chest, C18. Monuments include tablet with gabled head and finials to Margaret Wilkinson, 1670. Slate tablet with Latin inscription to Gabriel Brunt, 1638. Pilastered Classical tablet with angel corbel and cornice to Jane Brunts, 1659 and Robert Brunts, 1676. Large painted alabaster monument with bracketed panelled aedicule containing kneeling figures. Below relief panel with 6 child figures, and inscribed apron to John Hacker, 1620, and Margaret Hacker, 1627. 3 Classical marble and slate tablets to Hacker family, C19, one signed “Earnshaw, Nottm.” Marble and slate tablet with Arms and scrolled broken pediment to Rev. Peter Priaulx, 1783 and Caelia Priaulx, 1751. 4 Classical marble and slate tablets, C19, to Beaumont family, signed by J. E. Hall, Searey and Drake, and Hoyles, all of Nottingham. 9 similar tablets, C19. Royal Arms, C20. C20 panels with list of rectors, charities and transcribed inscription “This tower was rebuilt, the transepts taken down and the church roofed, pewed and repaired in the yr. of our ld. 1778 Moore Archt.”